PDA

View Full Version : iPhone speaker problem

Stormrush
09-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Hello, I got my iPhone last week and have loved it. However yesterday this really strange problem just started happening. When someone calls I can't hear through the earpiece speaker, instead I have to put the phone on speaker phone and I can hear them talking. But when I play movies and music the bottom speaker doesn't work. The only way I can hear it is if I use the headset or if I put the phone call on speaker phone. Otherwise I get no sound.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Arne
09-20-2007, 09:55 AM
I have the same problem :mad:
do you have some news?

Anti
09-22-2007, 01:55 AM
I don't own an iPhone, but I'll take a wild guess that the sensor in the earpiece may have gone awry, or something?

Does the screen shut off when you hold it up to your ear?

Werd
09-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I had the same problem last night, and even restoring my iPhone didn't fix it. Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I took pictures, the resulting thumbnails were just white, and when I tried to view them, the app quit and returned me to the Home screen. No pictures were saved to my Photos. Anyway, I discovered a solution to the no-sound problem (but I still can't take pictures)...

Plug in some headphones, and then unplug them. Apparently my iPhone thought I had headphones plugged in and was routing the sound through the headphone jack. Plugging and unplugging snaps it back to reality.

Hope this helps somebody. Now, if I can just figure out what's up with my camera...

Werd
09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Just a quick update:
Software update 1.1.1 fixed my camera issues. I'm back in business!

kkny65
10-03-2007, 01:18 AM
So this just happened to me tonight (I've had my phone since July). Exact same problem (about the earpiece, not the camera), except when using the headset, the left earbud had no sound. Also, if in a call, connecting the earphones would disconnect the call rather than transfer the sound to the earphones.

So I tried installing the update, and initially it still didn't work, but after playing around with the earphones more (i.e. plugging it in and unplugging it several times), the earpiece speaker seems to work fine again (don't know what I did or what fixed it). However, the left earbud still has no sound when plugged in. I don't think this is defective earphones because if I play around with it enough, I can get the plug in just the right spot where I do have sound on both sides (it's kind of half-in, half-out...just enough to make a connection it seems), but with the plug completely in, only the right side has sound.

Anyone else had that problem?

FlashInPan
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
My iPhone constantly gets that problem where the handset stops working and I can only use it when wearing my earbuds or bluetooth headset. I can't keep driving over to the Apple store for this little thing. I figured a LOT of people have this problem since it has happened to me a couple of times. I posted this easy procedure which only takes about a minute. It always works for me: http://www.luckow.com/iphone

kel101
10-19-2007, 07:00 AM
cant you sent it back to apple?

FlashInPan
10-19-2007, 11:19 PM
The speaker goes out because dust gets into the female end of the plug. I just keep my phone in my pocket so it's inevitable. Fuzz gets in there. The method described above takes me 30 seconds. Sending it back to Apple takes, well more than 30 seconds. Its a simple thing to fix. As long as you just make the cue tip damp, and not wet, there's really no danger of tripping the moisture sensor. That's really for the case of detecting when you have dropped it in a toilet or something.

romanm
10-24-2007, 04:28 AM
hey
i have the same problem , i tried the FlashInPan method but still do not work but i really think that the iphone thinks that the earphones are plugged.help plz!!

romanm
10-24-2007, 04:33 AM
but there is something i do not understand :
when i launch a music on the ipod , the sound go out of the speakers and when i plug the earphones , it go outs of the earphones so why is it different for the phone.
Maybe it's a problem of the normal speaker..?

mamburn
10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
FlashInPan -- Thank you, thank you, thank you! My ear speaker immediately starting working after your Q-tip solution. It appears to me this is a HUGE design flaw, but your solution will get me through for now.

gigashadowwolf
11-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Happens to me all the time especially after using headphones. Usually powering off then on works and if not that a restore.

How iphonic
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I had the same problem and tried everything.
I tried to reset : didn't work
I tried to restore : didn't work.
I tried erasing : didn't work.

So....

I took it back to the apple store and they gave me a new replacement.

They only thing you have to do is make sure you notify your service provider of change of mac address if you live in the uk. Otherwise you will not be able to access and "cloud" hotspots.

I only got my iphone two days ago so they were happy to swap it but i'm assuming that if you have had it more than 14 days they would have to send it away for repair??

Hope any of this information helps. :)

odHbo
11-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you guys know that I was having the same problem with my iPhone (minus the camera problem) and placing a damp Qtip in fixed it. Thanks for all the help!

Fair
11-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Hi, have the same trouble (with earpiece). Not only with iphone - all the phones i've ever been used. Seems to me they want us to buy just new headphones.
FlashInPan, thank u, i'll try this.

oshcrazi
11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
it works guys.... if the restore doesnt work... this definitely does

GavinBKK
11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Only an observation here, but I would not be comfortable with dabbing water into that socket, no matter how small the quantity.

Maybe the engineers amongst us could suggest a suitable cleaning agent for the end of that cotton bud? Isopropyl?

trevor
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Only an observation here, but I would not be comfortable with dabbing water into that socket, no matter how small the quantity.

Maybe the engineers amongst us could suggest a suitable cleaning agent for the end of that cotton bud? Isopropyl?

99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol will work well for this, but the stuff you find for sale in ordinary stores is something like 65% Isopropyl, and leaves a nasty residue behind. Never ever use 65% Isopropyl for cleaning electronics.

Trevor

aarathi
11-26-2007, 04:10 AM
It was not a good iphone. Go to the shop and exchange it.

gideon12
11-28-2007, 01:03 PM
If you are crazy enough to want to shove anything damp into your iPhone, just make sure you hold the iPhone upside down before inserting the q-tip.

What I've found to fix this issue is to shut down the iPhone, insert your headphones, then turn it back on. Once it has booted up, remove the headset, and your internal speaker should be working again.

At least this consistently works for me.

topfunky
11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
I've had the same problem several times and the plug/unplug solution didn't work.

I ended up blowing gently into the speaker hole and it cleaned it out sufficiently to work again.

tcourb
12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I had the same problem last night, and even restoring my iPhone didn't fix it. Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I took pictures, the resulting thumbnails were just white, and when I tried to view them, the app quit and returned me to the Home screen. No pictures were saved to my Photos. Anyway, I discovered a solution to the no-sound problem (but I still can't take pictures)...

Plug in some headphones, and then unplug them. Apparently my iPhone thought I had headphones plugged in and was routing the sound through the headphone jack. Plugging and unplugging snaps it back to reality.

Hope this helps somebody. Now, if I can just figure out what's up with my camera... i plugged in ma earphonez then unplugged them. it worked on my iphone thx

densone
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I just blew right into the hole. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the info. Saved me a trip to the apple store.

markhursh
12-15-2007, 01:58 PM
This Qtip fix posted at http://www.luckow.com/iphone/ works like a charm. Thanks so much!

dogger
01-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi guys I had problem with my sound on iPhone, there was no keyboard sound, no sound from ipod videos of songes. I could only hear from headphone. I tried all the possible solution such as cleaning of headphone jack but nothing worked for me. I recently bought this phone and there should not be any problem with dust in headphone jack. My phone was unlocked with anySIM software. Today suddenly I thoguht I should unlock my phone again and when I did it sound on my iPhone came back loud and clear. I think anyone with anySIM unlocked iphone should give it a try. Thanks

mahersimpson
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
yeah i can confirm the Q-tips trick worked for me. Thanks

34puckett
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Along the same lines:

I keep losing the other side, but staying connected during calls. They can hear me, but I can't hear them. Putting them on speaker doesn't resolve the issue, and either does restoring to factory defaults.

I've lost the headset, but I took it in and they replaced it and told me the sensor in the headset was getting triggered.

Now my new phone is having the same issue which makes me think it's a software issue. But if that's the issue wouldn't the restore have taken care of it? Anyone have this issue?? Know a solution?

Neirarc
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi, i have problems with the ear speaker it dosent work. what can i do?
also, i saw someone fix it with something called flashinpan where can i get it or download it. please i need help.

thanks

FunkyRob
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
So glad this came up on a google search. My phone was driving me nuts. People trying to call me and I couldn't hear anything.

Blowing in the headphone jack didn't work. I was nervous about shoving a damp q-tip into such an expensive phone, so I left it dry. It worked.

Neirarc, the problem is that the iPhone "thinks" that you have headphones plugged in, when in fact you don't. Seems like all you need to do is clean out the headphone jack (hole).

If you play with the volume controls on the left it should say "ringer" if nothing is plugged in.

neo01789
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
My iPhone constantly gets that problem where the handset stops working and I can only use it when wearing my earbuds or bluetooth headset. I can't keep driving over to the Apple store for this little thing. I figured a LOT of people have this problem since it has happened to me a couple of times. I posted this easy procedure which only takes about a minute. It always works for me: http://www.luckow.com/iphone

FlashInPan: Thanks you very very much. Q-tip so good.:)

usmanaliakbar
05-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi there!
i have another similar problem; my iPhone speaker works well, the headphones work fine but the earphone on the top doesn’t. For all the calls to be recived I have to turn on the speaker or the headphones. Please help me as how to make the earphone work. Please I luv my iPhone and I don’t wanna loose it

GavinBKK
05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Have you tried restoring the phone yet? What firmware are you on currently?

>Settings>General>About>Version

Mine is a very early model, fully updated/restored to 1.1.4 and does not have this issue. Let us know how you get on.

usmanaliakbar
05-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Vesion is 1.1.2 (but its a jail break); as i cant get it updated. Secondly earlier it was working fine but all of a sudden it stopped

richardjameson
05-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone, this worked for me on firmware 1.1.4 when all sound stopped working. Did not restore, but in SETTINGS, GENERAL, RESET. I reset the settings and everything came back fine. Hope this helps someone out there.

Campeon
09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi everyone, this worked for me on firmware 1.1.4 when all sound stopped working. Did not restore, but in SETTINGS, GENERAL, RESET. I reset the settings and everything came back fine. Hope this helps someone out there.

This is why that problem is generated and how itīs fixed. If you donīt have an apple store near by or you donīt have warranty and still donīt know how the hell to fix your phone:

http://ifoneheadsetjackfix.blogspot.com/

mjmorinmd
05-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Had the same problem with hearing my phone calls only in"speaker" mode and tried the trick of shutting my phone down and plug/unpluging my headphones with no improvement. Watched the Luckow video, which aside from making me laugh, also resulted in a successful resolution of the problem. Strong work!

cyborg6292
09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
OK one side of my i phone speaker works and the other side doesn't work so what should i do?

laura22
12-11-2009, 06:39 PM
i have this unlocked iphone and when i put the headphones and usb it turns off and i burly got it yesterday and it wasnt doing that at fisrt

vladimir
12-16-2010, 02:33 AM
yellou,
three days ago my iphone 4 fell into water. I was going out from the car, when I didn't realise my iphone is between my legs. it fell right into a puddle. It was there until I realised wtf exactly happened - 5-7 seconds. then I took it as fast as I could and tried to dry it by sucking the water out from all the holes it has. the phone seemed to be working, until i tried to call someone. there was no sound, exactly the same problem as you gays have/had .. the phone thought that the headphones are plugged in. the final solution for my problem was putting iphone for 3 days into a plastic bag full of rise. the rise helped to take out the entire moist from the device. it works such as new now.
+ before doing that, I tried the plugging and unplugging qtip, but didn't work for me ..

hope I helped you with your issue