PDA

View Full Version : Boot Mac OS X from USB 2.0 Drive

implicit
09-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Is there anyway at all to make an Iomega USB 2.0 External drive a boot up disk with Mac OS x 10.4....

It's all I have to use to boot up my Mac (Intel iMac) to try and repair it, unfortunelty my SuperDrive has failed also so I can't make a boot disk with DiskWarrior

Unless of course there is someway round booting from my install disk and then being able to use DiskWarrior - Apply Disk Utility isn't helping my situation

Thanks, CHRIS

DeltaMac
09-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Yes, you can boot any of the Intel Macs from a USB drive. Just install OS X on your USB drive. But, if your optical drive (the Superdrive) has failed, how were you going to install OS X on that USB drive, or any drive, for that matter?

Can you boot from your restore DVD, and get to the menus at the first screen (after choosing the language?)?
If you can get to those menus, then you can choose Disk Utility, and at least have a chance at repairing the hard drive. You would also be able to choose to install OS X to your USB drive. You will likely have to reformat your USB drive so you have the correct format for a booting drive.

implicit
09-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Yes, you can boot any of the Intel Macs from a USB drive. Just install OS X on your USB drive. But, if your optical drive (the Superdrive) has failed, how were you going to install OS X on that USB drive, or any drive, for that matter?

Can you boot from your restore DVD, and get to the menus at the first screen (after choosing the language?)?
If you can get to those menus, then you can choose Disk Utility, and at least have a chance at repairing the hard drive. You would also be able to choose to install OS X to your USB drive. You will likely have to reformat your USB drive so you have the correct format for a booting drive.

Yeah sorry I should have said the SuperDrive reads OK, it just won't write

Googles abou USB and it seems you cant boot from USB....

Tried booting from install disk (and I have tried Disk Utility - wont fix problem) when you come to choose which drive to install it won't install on USB drive....

does it maybe have to be formatted in some special way?

DeltaMac
09-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Yes, your drive needs special formatting. When you do this, you lose everything that is on your USB drive now.
Open your Disk Utility, and click on your USB drive (the manufacturer's info line, and not the line with the name of the partition), and click on the Partition tab.
Click the Options button at the bottom of that window.
Click GUID partition table (needed for booting on an Intel Mac.)
Click OK
Click on the Volume Scheme, and choose 1 partition from the drop-down list (or another choice if you think you need more than 1 partition.)
Click the Format drop-down, and choose Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Name your drive whatever you like, and click the Partition button.

That USB drive should now be selectable if you boot to your installer disk.

In the past, no Mac could boot OS X from a USB drive. That changed with the Intel Macs, and USB certainly boots an Intel Mac. But, you must change the type of partition, as listed above, or the installer ignores the USB drive.
Good luck!

implicit
09-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes, your drive needs special formatting. When you do this, you lose everything that is on your USB drive now.
Open your Disk Utility, and click on your USB drive (the manufacturer's info line, and not the line with the name of the partition), and click on the Partition tab.
Click the Options button at the bottom of that window.
Click GUID partition table (needed for booting on an Intel Mac.)
Click OK
Click on the Volume Scheme, and choose 1 partition from the drop-down list (or another choice if you think you need more than 1 partition.)
Click the Format drop-down, and choose Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Name your drive whatever you like, and click the Partition button.

That USB drive should now be selectable if you boot to your installer disk.

In the past, no Mac could boot OS X from a USB drive. That changed with the Intel Macs, and USB certainly boots an Intel Mac. But, you must change the type of partition, as listed above, or the installer ignores the USB drive.
Good luck!

DeltaMac, thank you for your time and advice - I really appreciate it, Im off to try it now....im in a really sticky situation with a corrupt drive and I just hope and pray DiskWarrior solve my problem other wise I have lost a lot of precious photos....

reeserv
09-05-2007, 04:48 PM
If your HD is going bad you might try booting in to Target Disk mode (holding down the T key while booting) and connecting to another Mac computer (got a good friend with a Mac) with a firewire cable. You may be able to get all your pictures and run Diskwarrior from the other computer.

PumaMan
09-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I have 2 intel mac machines. Today, I reformatted all of my usb external drives in Mac OS extended (journaled). Besides the startup disk problem here, MS DOS formatted disks had buffering slowdowns and networking problems. Just my 2 cents, but it is really not worth formatting ext usb drives in the MSDos unless you really MUST use it for a dos machine.

PS why do mac superdrives break so often? My macbook pro is on its 3rd drive.

divi2109
03-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi,

I have a Macbook (2,1) running OSX 10.4.11. I would like to run Fedora 10 on my machine using an external harddisk USB2.0. I have a Seagate Free Agent Go that i have formatted to HFS+ using Disk Utility. I could successfully install Fedora on my external harddisk using a DVD. But while booting from my external harddisk, an error says that booting from this device is not supported by firmware. Although looks clear i still hope there will be some solution to this problem.