PDA

View Full Version : Public Folder not working

cadaver
08-31-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm on a 1.5GHz G4 (PPC) mac mini with 1GB RAM, OS X 10.4.10 with all the updates current. No haxies installed.

I have two user accounts on the above machine, both admin.

I'd like to share work files between the accounts through the Public folder.

However, when as user A, I put a file (say, .doc) into the A's Public folder, or alternatively into the Drop Box in the Public folder, and then log out, when I log on as user B - there are NO files in user B's Public folder or Drop Box (and if I check size, it's the standard 8K empty folder). Conversely, when as user B I put a file in user B's Public folder or Drop Box, log out and log back in as user A, there is no file in user A's Public folder or Drip Box. The files stay where I put them, but the other user doesn't have them.

Through Get Info, I have enabled both Public folders (of user A and user B) for Read & Write in both Access and Others and Apply to Enclosed Items.

Even though it has nothing to do with it, just in the case of some remote possibility, I went ahead and in System Preferences--->Sharing---->Services I enabled "Personal File Sharing". Again, even though it has nothing to do with it, I have even switched off the firewall. None of this has any effect (unsurprisingly).

I repaired permissions and rebooted.

The only way I can access the files from both accounts is by going to the main system HDD--->Users---->user A (or B)---->Public folder - in other words, the file is exactly where I put it ONLY in user A's or B's Public folder. This is not how it's supposed to work, no? I mean, if I had 50 users, would I have to go through 50 users individual Public folders to find the file, which is sitting only in the original user's Public folder? I thought the whole idea was that the files in Public folders could be seen by all accounts!

Am I misunderstanding something here? Or are my Public folders not working properly, and if so, what's the solution? TIA!

hayne
08-31-2007, 01:53 AM
You are misunderstanding.
Each user has a separate "Public" folder. It is not the folder that is shared, but rather the files that that user puts into that folder. I.e. by putting files into that folder, you are making them publicly available.

Usually the user would tell the people that were interested in the file that it is available in his/her Public folder. So it isn't a question of having to browse 50 (if 50 users exist) Public folders to find the file - you would be told which user account the file is under.

cadaver
08-31-2007, 09:02 AM
You are misunderstanding.
Each user has a separate "Public" folder. It is not the folder that is shared, but rather the files that that user puts into that folder. I.e. by putting files into that folder, you are making them publicly available.

Usually the user would tell the people that were interested in the file that it is available in his/her Public folder. So it isn't a question of having to browse 50 (if 50 users exist) Public folders to find the file - you would be told which user account the file is under.

Thank you for explaining this - I was reading David Pogue's book "Mac OS X The Missing Manual", and from his description of Public folders, I took the wrong meaning.
I'm still new to this :)