PDA

View Full Version : smbclient & mount_smbfs

Ettore
08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Hallo to everyone,

i've found a lot of difficulty to mount a "windows server 2003 packed signed file sistem" with the Finder -> Connect to server.
Unfortunately i cannot disable the "packed signing" feature.
So i've tried to use the smbclient to attach the file system in terminal interface and was ok! (OSX 10.4.10)
The second step was the mounting of the volume.
I've tried the mount_smbfs feature but without any results. The system log reports "Aug 28 14:41:49 Amenaide kernel[0]: smb_smb_negotiate: server configuration requires packet signing, which we dont support" just like using Finder -> Connect to server...

Now the questions: is mount_smbfs or "mount -t smbfs" that's the same, the unique way to mount an smb file system? Does anyone another way, tool, feature or third parts software to make it?

Many thanks, Ettore

giskard22
08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
As far as I know, mandatory packet signing is a server-side option that cannot be "defeated" from the client side. No matter what you do, the server will refuse to communicate unless the signing protocol is implemented. I have never heard of a Mac-based method for doing so. That may change with future versions of the OS.

Quantumstate
08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Hei Ettore,

Please check to see whether the NTFS plugin for the MacFUSE mount system supports signing. If not, then if the server is running SSH, just bypass all that mess with MacFUSE's sshfs plugin. More secure, anyway. Put your public SSH key on the server, so no login required.

Grusse

giskard22
08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
That's an interesting idea, but why would the NTFS plug-in be relevant here? This is a SMB connection, not a direct-access NTFS volume.

Quantumstate
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
MacFUSE is a revolutionary way of accessing remote information of all kinds, including NTFS (R/W), disk drives through an SSH tunnel, BitTorrent, GMail... and mounting them all locally as if they were a local disk drive with files and folders.

It's an entirely different aminal than Samba, NFS, and all the other traditional methods. Check it out. I'm using MacFUSE and the sshfs plugin to mount a remote Debian disk drive locally, automatically on boot. Shows up in Finder with no intervention whatsoever, although it took some struggle for me to figure out Mac specifics, as I'm a Mac n00b coming from Debian. Check out my threads here.