PDA

View Full Version : Airport and Software Base Station

hschickel
12-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Trying to set up a software base station.

Network Consists of:

Main Router - 192.168.1.1 - connected to DSL modem, printer and iMac.

iMac w/ Airport Card - 192.168.1.2 on main network; 10.0.2.2 (tried DHCP and manual) - this machine is setup to be the SBS.

iBook w/ Airport Card - 10.0.2.3 via DHCP

Airport Router is set to 10.0.2.1 on both machines - this was done via dhcp and manually in turn - I'm not sure exactly how Airport comes up with this address.

Sharing pane on both machines allows file sharing and remote access. Sharing on iMac allows internet connection sharing.

File sharing, internet connect and remote access all do not work.

Does anyone know how to set this up or does anyone know of a good tutorial?

Thanks,
Hugh

hayne
12-08-2002, 10:46 AM
You should proceed one step at a time.
First get your wireless connection working between the iBook & the iMac.
You say that the iBook gets an IP address (10.0.2.3) from the DHCP on the iMac - so that sounds good.
First check if you have a firewall running on either the iMac or the iBook. Turn off all firewalls at least until you have everything working.
Now run Network Utility (in the Utilities sub-folder of Applications) on the iBook and see if you can ping the iMac:
ping 10.0.2.2
If this works, you have succeeded in establishing a wireless network connection between your two machines.
Now you (we?) can proceed to figure out how to get the more useful network services (HTTP, fire sharing, etc) working.

chabig
12-08-2002, 10:56 AM
If the TCP/IP address of the iMac is 10.0.2.2, then the iBook (10.0.2.3) should show that its router is 10.0.2.2, not 10.0.2.1.

This seems strange. Follow hayne's advice and see where it leads.

Chris

hschickel
12-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys - I set the Airport Addresses manually to:

iMac 10.0.2.2
Router 10.0.2.1

iBook 10.0.2.3
Router 10.0.2.2

Firewall's are off.

I can connect via afp over tcp/ip going from the iBook to the iMac but I cannot go in the opposite direction. I get an error that that says I'm trying to mount a local filesystem and that I should browse from the finder.

Internet connections do not work from the iBook do not work.

I can ping the iBook from the iMac (and obviously go the other way as I can mount the volumes.) I cannot mount the iBook volumes using afp://10.0.2.3/548 I get an error of type -5019.

Thanks for any further thoughts - also, if there are written instructions as to exactly how to do this that would be great.

Finally, is it necessary to use the 10.0.2.x addressing scheme that the SBS seems to come up with or should I use the 192.168.1.x addressing scheme that I use on my wired LAN? For that matter, can I even change the wireless scheme?

Thanks,
Hugh

hayne
12-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Is it possible that you didn't install the "BSD sub-system" which is where the network sharing software is?
To check that you have the necessary software for doing Internet Connection sharing, check if you have the file /usr/sbin/natd
(Either in the Terminal, by doing:
ls -l /usr/sbin/natd
or in Finder by going to the folder /user/sbin (with the "Go to Folder..." menu item))

hschickel
12-08-2002, 03:42 PM
hayne,

Thanks for your replies. BSD subsystem is installed.

I got a little further by booting both machines into single user mode and deleting all sharing, network and cache files. After rebuilding I now have working afp connections between the machines.

I also can get an internet connection by typing the internet address directly. ie there is no dns.

Oddly, adding dns entries manually into the dns server section does nothing for me.

I feel a bit closer to resolving this (if not any dns entries).

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Hugh

hschickel
12-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Solution:

Assign addresses manually. Add dns entries manually.

iMac 10.0.2.2
Router 10.0.2.1
DNS per ISP

iBook 10.0.2.3
Router 10.0.2.2
DNS per ISP

When assigning addresses dynamically the sbs will get no address and the clients will try to get a router address of 10.0.2.1 instead of the proper 10.0.2.2 (thanks chabig for this insight).

Other notes:

1. The base station needs the ethernet to be the first config in Network Port Configurations in the Network pref pane. (If you're connecting to the internet via ethernet - I'm not even sure if you can do this with a modem - the docs seem to imply that you cannot.)

2. Printing needs to be IP of one form or another (Appletalk printing will only run over one port.) I have not tried usb printer sharing yet - but I suspect that this would work too.

3. Be sure to start up internet sharing over airport via the Sharing pref pane.

Thanks all,
Hugh

kfaulhaber
12-08-2002, 09:00 PM
The beauty of OS X is that you can share any network interface with any network interface. (well, you can't share the ethernet interface over the modem). The key is that whatever interface you wan't to share be at the top of the "Network Port Configurations" list. For example, I have an iBook with an airport card connected by modem, and Internal Modem is at the top of the list. Next up is Built In Ethernet, configured manually with an IP of 10.0.2.1 and a router of 10.0.2.1 (since it is its own router). Last up is the Aiport card, with an IP of 10.0.1.1 (and router 10.0.1.1). In order to make sharing happen, I have to initiate a dial-up connection, and then in the sharing pane, click start and check both boxes for share over ethernet and share over airport. On my 7100, I set the TCP/IP control panel to 10.0.2.2 with a router of 10.0.2.1, and on my powerbook with a wireless PC card, I set it's ip to 10.0.1.2 with a router of 10.0.1.1. The downside to this setup is that using different subnets means that the 7100 and the powerbook can't see each other. Although I haven't tried it, in theory, using unique IP's from the same subnet should also work. For example, if I gave the IP of 10.0.2.3 to the airport card in the iBook, and 10.0.2.4 to the powerbook, then I would use 10.0.2.3 as the router on the powerbook.

kevin

hschickel
12-08-2002, 10:26 PM
kevin,

Thanks for that insight. I played around some more with the sbs - still need the manual entries but you're right about the sbs itself - router and ip address can be the same. This allows for dhcp - but no dns without a manual entry.

Some other observations:

1. I can connect anywhere on connected subnets by number but there is no browsing. So you could probably reach all of your machines manually.

2. Airport sbs seems to need to be on 10.0.2.0/24 to work properly. Changing to anything else causes failures in everything other than rendevous. This leads me to believe that you could probably not do what you're suggesting unlesss you did it on that net.

3. OSX is pretty darn cool. :)

Hugh