PDA

View Full Version : Why does my iMac boot this way?

skin
08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
One of my iMacs boots with text instead of the grey screen with an apple in the middle. I am trying to figure out why.

http://www.carltrimble.com/me/Blog/Entries/2007/8/10_Why_does_my_iMac_boot_this_way_files/shapeimage_2.jpg

brettgrant99
08-10-2007, 01:01 PM
You have a problem. When I had this problem with an Xserve, it turned out to be a corrupted diskdrive. I'm sure other things can cause it, too.

You might try booting from the CD.

Good luck,
Brett

trevor
08-10-2007, 01:08 PM
It is not necessarily true that you have a problem. You can choose to switch this mode, called verbose mode, on and off using an Open Firmware variable.

Once you are fully booted into OS X, you can change the value of this OF variable with the following command, copy/pasted into your Terminal (which is found in /Applications/Utilities):

To turn off verbose mode:

sudo nvram boot-args=''

Please copy/paste this, as the text may appear to be something other than it is--the two final characters are both single quote marks, not a double quote mark.

You will be asked to enter your admin password, as the command includes 'sudo', which gives you temporary root privileges. If this is your first time ever using sudo, you may receive a warning about it's use, but this is standard for the first time you use the sudo command.

After entering this command, if you reboot, you should not see verbose mode. If you still do, after booting, show us the results in your Terminal of
nvram -p

Trevor

skin
08-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Trevor,

sudo nvram boot-args=''

It worked flawlessly. Awesome dude, Thanks!

brettgrant99
08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Trevor,

sudo nvram boot-args=''

It worked flawlessly. Awesome dude, Thanks!

That's great. I need to stop making asumptions.:o

Brett