PDA

View Full Version : Can't type in Firefox

wwcavs
07-31-2007, 11:13 PM
I tried doing a search, but I didn't find anything, so here goes.

Whenever I use Firefox, at some point, I am unable to type into any empty field such as the URL address field or google search field at google.com. When I restart Firefox everything works fine at first, but in a matter of minutes I have the same problem. Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Cheers

hayne
07-31-2007, 11:29 PM
1) Remove all FireFox extensions that you have installed. (Or perhaps better, just trash Firefox and download a new copy. Don't install any extensions before you test it enough to see whether it works.)

2) Another thing to try is to log in as a different user to see if the problem exists there. (Create a new user via the Accounts preference panel if you only have the one user account so far.)

wwcavs
08-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks, I uninstalled everything and it seems to be working fine now.

Daniel_C
08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I had this problem too for a while, what I found was that clicking in the finder and then hitting any key, and then bringing firefox back to the front I could type fine. If I remember correctly it only happened when I had dreamweaver running.

pengunassasin
08-01-2007, 04:39 PM
theres a reason: if you use Greasemonkey, scripts that use the "window.stop()" command cause the UI to stop (its talking to the main FF window not the page) -- fix: change the references to "window.stop()" to "window.document.stop()"

Found that one when I was writing a script for slashdot (printer freindly script)