View Full Version : Keys - what are the symbols?

06-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I went into System Preferences Keyboard and Mouse to check out the keys and their functions and I couldn't understand what some of them meant:

eg. Automatically hide and show the Dock: Apple key [funny symbol] D. Is this funny symbol the Option key? or the control key?

Focus on Dock: ^F3. Do I press the "^" symbol on the number 6 key? Do I have to press shift at the same time?

If not, why not just say press "6 F3"?

Do I press "^" and F3 at the same time?

Does "Focus on Dock" mean that the Dock shows up? I am asking because sometimes when I'm watching a DVD on the full screen, the Dock sometimes disappears, and I want to make it appear again using the keys as without the Dock and the Finder bar up the top, I'm stuck.

The up arrow I'm guessing is the Shift key.

The "`" is the key next to the "1" key, isn't it? The keypad fell off (I have three keys fall off my computer after three years of use) so I can't see what the key says but I thought it used to be the key with the funny squiggle. Update: I found the keypad and it has squiggle on the bottom and the "`" on the top.

But whenever I press the key base now (I can't press the keypad as it fell off), it comes out as "`", and I can't get it to do the squiggle anymore. How can I get it to do the squiggle as I use the squiggle more than the "`"? (Sorry, this is a question that's not on-topic)

But now whenever I press it (with the keypad gone), it comes out like "`".

I am using Powerbook G4 and Panther OS.

Also after my F10 keypad fell off, the key doesn't work when pressed.

Update: I just checked the keyboard shortcuts and I can't see F10 anywhere. Maybe the F10 key does nothing? I remember it did though ....

06-27-2007, 09:46 PM
See this Apple doc:

(By the way, I found this by googling for: Apple key symbols)

You could also have found the help document on your Mac by going into Mac Help (e.g. from Finder) and searching for: key symbols
You would find a help document titled: "Symbols for special keys" which shows all the symbols you were asking about.

06-27-2007, 09:49 PM
You can press a modifier key when one of the shortcut menus is selected to see what the symbol is.

The up arrow symbol is the shift key
The ^ symbol is control
The goofy diagonal thing (sorry for getting technical) is option
The cloverleaf symbol is the apple key

06-27-2007, 10:00 PM
The goofy diagonal thing (sorry for getting technical) is option


Thanks for that. It's clear now. I'll check those links as well.

06-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Kind of related: How do I type the four leaf clover symbol on the Apple key?
I did a search but couldn't find this information. It would be handy to be able to type this symbol.

06-27-2007, 11:09 PM
You can use the character pallete in the input menu (System preferences > International > Input method).

06-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Or you can copy and paste it - ⌘
Read the command-key history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key) for more.