PDA

View Full Version : ScreenSaver.crash.log grows huge

WhiteStar
06-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Hello!

I am using Tiger OSX on my iBook bought in december 2005. For saving larger files I use an external hard drive, so the only thing I have on the laptop's own hard drive is music and the system folders.

The problems is that the hard drive seems to be growing in size all the time, despite me not saving anything there. I just recently started to investigate the problem when I noticed a curious thing.

I the file with the logs (system, messenger etc.) there was a file named ScreenSaver.crash.log. I'm at work, so I can't check the exact name, so the file name might have been longer. The name did however end with .crash.log. The problem is that the file was 15 GB in size! I tried to open the log and clear the contents. My machine however froze each time I tried to open it, and it started to really hamper performance (couldn't save anything etc.). So I deleted it, since I couldn't do anything else.

My computer has worked well since. Does anyone know what is up with my computer, and what this file was? Is there something wrong with my settings or how could this happen?

Best regards,

AH

hayne
06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
A crash log is what is written when an application crashes.
So the existence of a large and growing crash log for ScreenSaver indicates that that application has been crashing a lot.
You can (and should) look at the log (before it gets so big) by using the Console application (under /Applications/Utilities)

WhiteStar
06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
But the fact is... nothing has been crashing (not that much anyways). Some small hick-ups and freezings - nothing too big. I assume the file will be re-written (created) the next time something happens. I simply had to delete the filein order to make my machine run, since I couldn't open it.

Thanks anyways. I will check if the file re-appears, and then look at what it is reporting.

AH

hayne
06-25-2007, 02:51 PM
But the fact is... nothing has been crashing (not that much anyways)
If the ScreenSaver is crashing, it probably restarts itself so fast that you don't notice it.