PDA

View Full Version : After login nothing appear, just a desktop background

ernando
06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Dear all,
I really need a help with my iMac Core Duo. Upon start, the login screen appeared. Then after I entered the password, the login screen accepted, the computer continued normally, but shortly after the login screen disappeared all I saw just the default desktop image (the blue swishes), a cursor, and that's it!! It does not go any further. No warning appears, no finder, no hard drive. Nothing, just the screen.

I repaired the disk & the permissions using Mac OS X installation DVD but no help. I searched in Google and found nothing.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?

Thanks a lot

smartpig
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
ernando,

This is likely a problem with spotlight. There are a few fixes that can be attempted that have work for me in the past on several systems that I administer when they exhibited the same behavior.

First solution is this:
1. Boot in safe mode (shift key down until log-in screen)
2. Log in as your user that is not loading properly, it should log in in safe mode, if not, spotlight is probably not your problem.
3. Navigate to your home directory, then go to Library -> Preferences and delete com.apple.spotlight.plist, and com.apple.finder.plist (you may not have spotlight.plist depending on your OS version).
4. Restart normally, and try logging in, this has fixed the problem in 90% of the cases I have seen.

Second solution involves the terminal and being an administrative user.
Use this only if the first solution does not work, as I have found that this solution is less effective at fixing the problem, but can work on a stubborn index.
1. Go to the terminal, after booting into safe mode.
2. type sudo mdutil -E /
3. enter your admin password when prompted.
4. Reboot, and see if this fixed the problem.

The final solution I have found that works, is much more drastic. Create a new user. If this issues is linked to spotlight, and I believe it is from your description, this will fix the problem for the newly created user (the old user will still not work). You can then, selectively copy the old users files and preferences over, making sure you check that what you copy does not break the log-in of the new user. This is a slow process, and involves changing ownership and permissions, and I do not recommend that you attempt this if you are not familiar with this process.

Good luck,

Lee