PDA

View Full Version : Auto-login on startup

Shadowman9876
06-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I would like to have one of my accounts automatically log in in the background on startup and run its login items but still have the computer go to the user selection screen so other people can log in. Is this possible? Thanks

OSX 10.4

yellow
06-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Hmm conventionally? No, that is is not possible.

However, theoretically, one could have a login item that would switch to the Fast User Switching login screen. Do I know what order the loading of login items follows? Nope, hopefully alphabetically. Would this Login/LoginItem/FUS be invisible to the user? No. definitely not. Would I even begin to know how to get the screen to go to FUS? Nope.

chabig
06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think the login items run in any particular order. In Panther and earlier, I think they loaded in order from top to bottom and we could change the order. But with Tiger, they are launched by launchd and order doesn't matter.

To get to the login window from a script, see http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031102031045417&query=fast+user. All you need is a simple one-line Applescript, like this:

do shell script "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"