PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Won't Boot From OS9 CD

smoothierev
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
For some reason I cannot get my PowerBook (running 10.4.9) to boot from my OS9 CD.

I've held the C button during restart, but it won't boot from the CD. I've also held down the Option button during restart, prompting the machine to ask which target I want to boot from, but the CD option never comes up.

Am I missing something?

The CD does have one scratch on it, but I have no problems accessing the CD from OS X and opening files, playing media, etc.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JDV
05-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Did this machine EVER run OS 9? What I mean is, is it an older machine that was either shipped with OS 9 or known to boot from OS 9 and OS X? If it is newer than about 2003, it probably just won't boot OS 9. If it OLDER than that, and you did a clean install of OS X onto it, did you install the drivers for OS 9 during the installation process? The scratch could be significant, but I sort of doubt it. More details of the model of the PowerBook might be helpful.

Joe VanZandt

trevor
05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Please tell us

1. Exactly which PowerBook is this? What is it's processor, processor speed, screen size, and any other distinguishing characteristics (for just one example, is it Titanium or Aluminum)?

2. Exactly which OS 9 CD is it? OS 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1, or 9.2.2? Is it a Full Install CD, or an Upgrade CD, or something else?

3. What is it that you are trying to do by booting to your OS 9 CD? Are you trying to install OS 9? Or something else, such as a troubleshooting step?

Trevor

smoothierev
05-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the swift replies and the help, guys. Let me try to an answer all your questions.

1. The laptop is a 15" PowerBook G4 (Model Powerbook5,6) with a CPU of 1.5 GHz.

2. The Mac OS 9 CD is a full install CD (as far as I can tell) with 9.2.

* I just noticed that the CD says "Power Mac G4 Install" when I put it into the drive. Would this prevent the CD from booting?

3. I'm trying to install OS 9 to use some older/out dated applications.

4. I don't know if the PowerBook ever ran OS 9.

Thanks for the assistance!

DeltaMac
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
That explains it!
Your aluminum G4 Powerbook cannot boot from OS 9. The last PowerBook that would boot from OS 9 is the titanium G4s, which have not been sold new for nearly 4 years.
Of course, you can read the OS 9 CD, but your 'book can't use it as a boot volume. You can use OS 9 through Classic to use older apps. But, you can't actually boot to OS 9...

trevor
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
3. I'm trying to install OS 9 to use some older/out dated applications.

smoothierev, this page might be helpful to you to install OS 9 for use as Classic:

How to perform Mac OS 9 clean installation with Restore CDs (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107383)

Trevor

JDV
05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
And let me add that Classic running under OS X runs almost all older Mac apps flawlessly; only very rarely have I come across a piece of software that had any problems at all running in Classic mode.

Joe VanZandt

smoothierev
05-24-2007, 09:54 AM
My intention was always to use Classic instead of OS 9 natively, but I've got to get it onto the hard drive first.

Do I need the System Restore CDs that came with the laptop, or is there any way to install OS 9 (for Classic) from the 9.2 CD I currently have?

My apologies if this question was already answered above.

DeltaMac
05-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Do I need the System Restore CDs that came with the laptop, ... ?

here's a good link that should have any info you need to restore your software, including Classic.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61802