PDA

View Full Version : OS X Ti-BOOK SOS

chunktastic
11-17-2002, 06:45 PM
hey my first post... although i've used the site a lot... but obviously not well..

...my problems started a week ago...

i had added some a small selection of free/shareware from the talented folk at 'unsanity', 'x-life' and was trying out 'speed download' and Spring Cleaning [i clean]...

i updated my OS X and soon after took speed download off of my system and found that my trash was not working, i read about the privilage utility on OS X hints and worked through this... i then managed to trash my OS X pref's and had to rebuild them...

i was trying to get rid of the FRUIT MENU from my SYS PREF'S and the file would not go... no matter what... i read on OS X hints of the OS 9 way of getting rid of the file. so i put the file into the document file in OS 9 and started to reboot...

....insert tummy and jaw dropping to floor here...

my screen now only has a flashing file with the OS 9 smile and a question mark...

i tried to re boot from my OS X CD and i got some text up which read destroy apple.com yadda yadda blah...

i put in my Jag OS X disk and tried the disk utility and it saw my hard drive but said it was not mounted and i decided to stop messing and put out a hand int the night hoping some one can either pull me out of the darkness or recommend someone who can...

i live in williamsburg' brooklyn...

any assistance will be really appreciated... i am a filmmaker and have a innumerous [and unbackedup double doh! - and you can tell how desperate i am as the 'new york' episode of the 'simpson' is on in the background and im still typing] precious to me and our 'crew' documents on my machine...

thank and much respecz

chunk

ilofi
11-17-2002, 09:40 PM
chunktastic,
Sorry to hear your dilemma I had the same problem a month ago (different circumstances leading to the same dreadful situation). What I did was use my pismo powerbook (which was flashing folder icon) as a "target disk". Basically, you plug your powerbook into another mac via firewire. Make sure both machines are off when you do so of course. Ok, hold down the "T" button on your powerbook, start 'er up and you should have a big firewire logo in the middle of the screen. After you see that, start up the other mac and your powerbook should appear as an external hard drive. You should be able to pull off your data and then eject the drive.
Of course this only works if you have two macs and they both have firewire ports AND you have firewire 2.3.3 on the target mac.
As for restoring the drive, I didn't have time to find the problem so I just reinstalled 10.
I really don't have an answer as far as "why", my problem was due to techtool pro. I used it to check my drive not realizing that it wasn't certified for 10.2.
oops.
good luck