PDA

View Full Version : External USB HD will not mount

loginname
03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
I have searched and searched and searched...but no thread has yet to work. My external USB Samsung 200 GB hardrive will not mount. (There may have been a power failure, while in use, but I am not sure.)

After a couple hours Disk utility can find the HD, but it will not mount. Disk utility suggests trying repair, but it runs without stopping (for more than 24 hours.) Drive Genius and Data Rescue also run without stopping.

I am now living in Russia and do not have any friends who can bail me out of this one. Can anyone help?

Here is a little info:

ms-197-31:~ don$ ls -l /Volumes
total 8
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 Mar 9 15:58 Macintosh HD1 -> /
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Mar 9 16:06 Samsung 186 GB
ms-197-31:~ don$

USB TO IDE:

Capacity: 186.31 GB
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Version: 0.33
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
OS9 Drivers: Yes
Product ID: 0x0702
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Vendor ID: 0x05e3

Name : Samsung 186 GB
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk1s10
Mount Point : Not mounted
File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection Bus : USB
Partition Type : Apple_HFS
Device Tree : IODeviceTree:usb-2c
Writable : Yes
Universal Unique Identifier : 02D3548A-8C2B-3D49-B1DB-3603ADA53149
Capacity : 186.2 GB (199,914,487,808 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No
Can Turn Owners Off : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : No
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Disk Number : 1
Partition Number : 10

tlarkin
03-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Does disk utility see the drive in question?

Do you own a copy of diskwarrior?

chicorasia
03-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Have you tried Data Rescue or Data Rescue II?

Data rescue II will not even attempt to mount or repair the drive, it will simply scavenge all readable data from the drive.

loginname
03-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for answering so quickly!
My mistake. I have tried Data Rescue ll (not Data Rescue), but have not had any luck. My external HD does not show up in the list of HDs. I have not invested the money in Diskwarrior (sem student on a budget.) Unfortunatley, I have not backed up the data on that disk for a while and there are some photos that I need.

I do not know much about Unix, but have started reading. Any hope for fixing this through the terminal?

loginname
03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I forgot to answer the question...yes disk utility does see the drive, after a couple hours of searching. When I press "mount" Disk utility tells me that it cannot mount the disk and suggests using "repair disk"—which does not work (even after a day.)

tlarkin
03-09-2007, 01:38 PM
I forgot to answer the question...yes disk utility does see the drive, after a couple hours of searching. When I press "mount" Disk utility tells me that it cannot mount the disk and suggests using "repair disk"—which does not work (even after a day.)

Time to use a little app called disk warrior. It has fixed this exact problem for myself many times over. I highly recommend this software to any mac user.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

loginname
03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how things work out

chicorasia
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Go back to basics:

Is it a USB enclosure with a standard IDE drive? Have you tried mounting a hd you know to be good in the enclosure? Have you tried mounting the HD in a powermac and running disk utility / data rescue ii?

loginname
03-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Time to use a little app called disk warrior. It has fixed this exact problem for myself many times over. I highly recommend this software to any mac user.

I tried Diskwarrior, but did not have great news:

Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (2855, 2257).http://forums.macosxhints.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

When Disk utility and Disk Genius tested the HD, the disc would not mount, but they both reported that it passed successfully.http://forums.macosxhints.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Go back to basics:

Is it a USB enclosure with a standard IDE drive? Have you tried mounting a hd you know to be good in the enclosure? Have you tried mounting the HD in a powermac and running disk utility / data rescue ii?

My enclosure is okay. I have a second HD that mounts fine. I do not access to a powermac only some windows machines.

Think there any hope for recovering my photos or do things look grim?

chicorasia
03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (2855, 2257)

That's worrysome, but I suppose DW went all the way up to showing the report and the REBUILD button.

Have you tried starting DW in the scavenge mode (hold option as you boot from the CD)?

Seems like your hard drive is badly damaged - like you said, you suspect of a power failure, which is a great way to damage a hd. You can mount it in a PC and run the manufacturer's (samsung?) diagnostics utility - get it from the website. This will do a thorough analysis of the drive, including its SMART status (SMART data often does not translate correctly over USB or firewire bridgeboards).

I'm positive Windows, by itself, will not be able to read HFS file systems... maybe there's some 3rd party utility around (like MacDrive) that will be able to translate it and allow you to salvage your files.

loginname
03-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Have you tried starting DW in the scavenge mode (hold option as you boot from the CD)?

You can mount it in a PC and run the manufacturer's (samsung?) diagnostics utility - get it from the website.

maybe there's some 3rd party utility around (like MacDrive) that will be able to translate it and allow you to salvage your files.

Thanks for the advice. I do not have the DW CD. Is the scavenge mode only possible with a CD boot? All of my software comes from the internet. Where I live in Russia, it costs about $0.08 MB for a connection. I have tried several Mac based programs, with the exception of Tech Tool (which is a big 1GB.)

24 hours ago, I tried Data Rescue II again. After starting DR I turned my ext. HD on -off-on quickly and it showed up in the DR window. I started a thorough scan and am waiting...and waiting...

There is 0% processor use, but the messages sent and received continue to increase. (The same is true for DR2 Backend.)

If things do not improve, I will try the PC option and tech tool tomorrow.

trevor
03-11-2007, 10:38 AM
All of my software comes from the internet.

You are talking about software piracy. Any further discussion about software piracy AT ALL will cause this thread to be locked.

You need to buy a legitimate DiskWarrior CD. You can buy it from Alsoft at http://alsoft.com

Trevor

loginname
03-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, you had a good idea about checking with Samsung, but...their diagnostic program reformats the disk.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/hutil.htm

Is it possible that there is a permissions problem? Although both Disk utility and Disk Genius run forever and seem not to accomplish any repairs, they claim that my HD passes their hardware tests.

I did move some encrypted backup files onto that HD, a month or so before the crash but those additions did not seem to effect anything. A week or so before my problems began, some security issues motivated me to install a fresh copy of X and do a 10.4.8 software update. My HD worked afterwards, but I am not sure for how long.

A friend told me that even here in Russia data recovery will be at least $500. (If I ever get my photos back I promise to always-always back-up my data on a second HD AND burn a disk.)

krobbyzw
12-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi, I wanted to check with you if DiskWarrior cannot detect the drive I am trying to repair, but Disk Utility can [however Disk Utility cannot mount it] is it possible to get Disk Warrior to repair the drive, or is it too far gone?

trevor
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
krobbyzw, if DiskWarrior will not "detect" the drive but Disk Utility does, it is probably because the drive is in a format that DiskWarrior does not repair, but Disk Utility does. That format is FAT32.

FAT32 is a Windows format, and Windows has more sophisticated tools for repairing drives with that filesystem. I would recommend using a Windows computer and repairing the drive with something like the Windows version of Norton Disk Doctor.

Trevor

krobbyzw
12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for that Trevor, Disk Utility tells me that the format of the drive is MacOS extended [journalled]. Is it still likely to be a FAT32 drive?

trevor
12-04-2008, 10:34 AM
No, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is Apple's marketing name for HFS+ (Journaled).

I've never seen DiskWarrior not detect an HFS+ drive that Disk Utility would detect. Are you looking at the popup menu in DiskWarrior to see all the drives that it detects?

Trevor

krobbyzw
12-05-2008, 04:54 AM
Yes I am looking at the popup window. It can only find the hard drive from the Mac I am plugging the drive into.[I am using a SATA cage and DiskWarrior 3.0] Do you have any other suggestions?

trevor
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
It can only find the hard drive from the Mac I am plugging the drive into.[I am using a SATA cage and DiskWarrior 3.0]

Ah, that's the problem. You need DiskWarrior 4, preferably version 4.1. http://alsoft.com/

I believe that you can buy DiskWarrior 4 at an upgrade price for a significant discount since you have the old version.

Trevor