PDA

View Full Version : USB flash drive from OSX to Windows PC?

Agent007
03-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Today I put a small folder of files from my Powerbook G4, copied them onto my 1GB Sandisk Cruzer Mini and drove to a friends house to attempt to install those files onto his PC. When I inserted the flash drive, Windows XP asked me if I'd like to format the disk. "Duh" I thought to myself. How could I have been so stupid as to not question the compatibility? I've never done this before since I've had a PBook (first Mac[ill never go back]) for 18 months and never needed to transfer data to anthing else. So in Disk Utility I see I can only format the drive for OSX or UNIX, and my question is, will it work with both OSX and Windows if it's formatted for UNIX? And a follow-up question would be is there any way to use a USB drive to transfer data from a Mac to a PC or PC to Mac? Thanks.

JDV
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
There SHOULD also be a DOS option, which for the Mac means FAT32. Are you sure there isn't? That file system is definitely compatible with your Mac and your friends' PCs. I don't think a Unix format will work for the PC--at least, if they are running Windows.

Joe VanZandt

melon
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
As JDV has said, you should use FAT32 filesystem as that works for everything, but your USB stick should have been formatted as that anyway (or at least FAT).

Are you sure you ejected it properly and not corrupted it? It also could be a case of your friend's PC not liking the hidden resource forks/ds_store files that Mac creates.