PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Antivirus Software

sachik
03-02-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm looking for an antivirus software that won't interfere with my computer's performance.

My company has a rule that all computers need antivirus software -- PC and Mac. I have read other forums, articles, etc. that go on about the fact that there are NO OSX viruses yet... :) However, I do still need to antivirus software for my Macs so as to keep everyone happy and the PC users feeling safe.

I was looking at Norton Antivirus 10 and Intego Virus Barrier. Any suggestions... words of advice from experience?

Photek
03-02-2007, 03:05 AM
forget Nortons...

Look at Sophos or ClamXav

JDV
03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Norton may or may not be a good choice, but it doesn't pose the same problems for OS X as their disk utilities do, so the advice to avoid them needs to be based on some other criteria. I've used Norton Anti-virus on Macs with no difficulties.

Sophos tends to be a bit expensive, but ClamXav is a good option.

Joe VanZandt

lostduck
03-02-2007, 08:12 AM
A good rule when posting for the first time is to check previous threads. This questions has been asked zillions of times, and has generated plenty of interesting comments. There is no need at all to repeat it.

sachik
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've checked previous posts and the most that I've gotten from them is that people like to argue about the fact that there is no real need for AV SW for macs -- but I haven't found any useful advice as to WHAT AV SW to use if I am forced too.

Thanks for the suggestions on Sophos (which I saw has a free 30-day trial download) and ClamXAV -- I'll check those out and post what I find so any other inquiring people can stumble upon this thread and won't have to ask the same question again ;:p

CAlvarez
03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
There are a lot of horror stories about Norton AV on Macs. As Lostduck said, search for it, there are at least a couple threads a month about this.