PDA

View Full Version : Losing Hard Disk space daily....

VizioNy
02-27-2007, 08:18 PM
*New Mac User Alert*
MacBook
1.25 GB of Ram
60 Gb HD

I am not familiar to navigate with this new Mac Os X, I have always been a windows user. But I have been googling around for hints and tips, but I cannot seem to find what I am looking for, so I am asking you guys for some help.

I have used "WhatSize" to find out which folders were taking up space, apparently when calculating all my folders on my hard disk, it reveals I only have about 24 gb of data, but I checked Disk utility and it states I have used up 50GB of space. I am not sure where the other 25 GB of space went. I periodically download huge files and such. Afterwards I make sure to move it to another fileshare at home. But after clearing up the recycle bin, the next day my diskspace seems to decrease. Where else can I check? I have checked disk utility and I got the following errors :
- Incorrect number of thread records
- Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
- The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Would these errors reflect why I have been losing space periodically?

I have also ran the command sudo periodic daily weekly monthly to clean up my temp files, and I have also used a utility to free up more space using only one language now rather than storing all those preloaded languages.

Thanks alot !!!! I know I will be a frequent member on this board, hopefully in the future I can provide some insight I have learned from you guys.

trevor
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
You definitely need to repair your hard drive immediately. With filesystem damage like you have, any numbers that you are seeing are untrustworthy.

So, to fix your filesystem damage, boot to your OS X Install disc, select Disk Utility from one of the pulldown menus, go to the First Aid tab, select your hard drive, and click Repair Disk.

Trevor

VizioNy
02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
You definitely need to repair your hard drive immediately. With filesystem damage like you have, any numbers that you are seeing are untrustworthy.

So, to fix your filesystem damage, boot to your OS X Install disc, select Disk Utility from one of the pulldown menus, go to the First Aid tab, select your hard drive, and click Repair Disk.

Trevor

Thnx Trevor, I just did the repair, and the numbers seem to be true. I only have 5 gb of space now. This is after clearing up the languages using Delocalizer, any other suggestions perhaps? oh yeah after the repairs, I ran the disk utility verification again, and everything came out clean.

hayne
02-27-2007, 09:44 PM
The 3rd-party utilities "OmniDiskSweeper" or "Disk Inventory X" or "GrandPerspective" or "JDiskReport" will help show you where the disk space is going.

Alternatively, open a Terminal window (Terminal is under /Applications/Utilities) and enter the following command:
sudo du -x -h -d 1 /
Look to see which sub-folder is taking up the most space and repeat with that folder. If you have trouble interpreting the results, just copy & paste them back here and we can help.
(This method will work in cases where the above 3rd-party utilities fail to show where the disk space is going - i.e. the case where the files are in folders that you don't have permission to read. Note that the 'du' command may take several minutes to finish, so be sure to wait until you get the prompt back.)

VizioNy
03-07-2007, 10:50 PM
31G ./cups
0B ./fax
0B ./mqueue
0B ./PDFMaker
0B ./postfix
0B ./samba
31G .

Ok so here is where all my space went. I knew I was not crazy, I followed some guide line on the apple site to remove the tmp directory, and bam!!! I have 31 GB worth of space again. So cups is for printing? How come my tmp files got SOOO HUGE?

Thank you for that "sudo du ..." command, worked like a charm! I guess the other programs could not pick up that folder.

Future reference for others :

Stop the Print Service.
Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
Execute these commands:
$ sudo rm -r /var/spool/cups/tmp
$ sudo mkdir /var/spool/cups/tmp
$ sudo chmod 1770 /var/spool/cups/tmp
Start the Print Service.

QHMotU
03-16-2007, 11:13 PM
:confused: Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem similar to VizioNy's, except my HD seemed to lose about 40 GB of space overnight.

I've run Norton Disk Doctor until it ran clean of errors twice in a row, I ran Speed Disk, and my HD still tells me:

Capacity: 55.89 GB
Available: 1.88 GB
Used: 54.01 GB

Finder (by manually adding up the folder sizes on the HD), OmniDiskSweeper, and Whatsize show only about 9 GB of files.

I dragged my entire HD to my external, and that folder only takes up 8.75 GB (I'm assuming the .25 GB discrepancy is due to the files I didn't have permission to copy).

I've Googled till my eyes bled and finally (FINALLY) found this thread, but hayne's Terminal command only gives me an error:

du: illegal option -- h

I'm running:
Mac OS 10.2.8
768 MB RAM
60 GB HD
800 MHz PowerPC G4
Flat-Panel iMac

Thanks so much for your help.

trevor
03-17-2007, 10:26 AM
1. I would recommend that you not use Norton Disk Doctor. Although, since you are still on 10.2.x, it is safer for you than for people who have upgraded to 10.3.x, and far safer than those poor people attempting to use Norton DD with 10.4.x, it is still not something I consider trustworthy.

du: illegal option -- h

2. The -h option for du just gives you 'human-readable' output. In other words, it suffixes units such as B (byte) KB (Kilobyte) MB (Megabyte) etc. to the numbers it gives. If the old 10.2.x version of du doesn't support that option, then just skip it.

sudo du -x -d 1 /

Trevor

QHMotU
03-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Trevor,

What would you recommend instead of Norton?

With your Terminal command, I now get the error:

du: illegal option -- d
usage: du [-H | -L | -P] [-a | -s] [-ckx] [file ...]

:(

Any other thoughts? (It might've helped if I'd put the useage info in the last post, eh? I'm a complete Terminal newbie.)

Thanks!

trevor
03-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Instead of Norton, I would recommend DiskWarrior http://alsoft.com on bootable CD. (In other words, don't just get the net download, you need the actual physical bootable CD.)

Apparently, the version of du included with OS X 10.2.x is horribly outdated. Without being able to read it's manual page, I don't know how to get it to do what you want. I'd recommend OmniDiskSweeper instead. http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/

Trevor

QHMotU
03-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Unfortunately, I've already tried OmniDiskSweeper, and it's not showing me what's taking up approx. 40 GB of HD space. It only reports back 9.5 GB worth of files on my HD, but its Drive List says there's 54.1 GB used.

Thanks for the advice on Disk Warrior. :)

matmo
03-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Instead of Norton, I would recommend DiskWarrior http://alsoft.com on bootable CD. (In other words, don't just get the net download, you need the actual physical bootable CD.)

Apparently, the version of du included with OS X 10.2.x is horribly outdated. Without being able to read it's manual page, I don't know how to get it to do what you want. I'd recommend OmniDiskSweeper instead. http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/

Trevor

Acctualy you don't need the boot CD.
You can do the same thing with a second computer, if you have one, or a friend's computer...
1. you install DiskWarrior on the other computer
2. you start your computer in target mode (press T and hold until you see FW sign on screen)
3. you connect the two computers with a firewire-cable
-> you see your HD as a FireWire-Drive on the desktop of the 2end computer
4. you run diskwarrior from the second computer

an other option would be, to check you drive with the repairtool from OSX 10.4.x . (but you need install CD or second computer with installed 10.4.x(target mode again))

trevor
03-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, I've already tried OmniDiskSweeper, and it's not showing me what's taking up approx. 40 GB of HD space. It only reports back 9.5 GB worth of files on my HD, but its Drive List says there's 54.1 GB used.

Perhaps Hayne or someone with a better memory than I have will be able to tell you how to tweak the du command for 10.2.x

Trevor

trevor
03-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Acctualy you don't need the boot CD.
You can do the same thing with a second computer, if you have one, or a friend's computer...
1. you install DiskWarrior on the other computer
2. you start your computer in target mode (press T and hold until you see FW sign on screen)
3. you connect the two computers with a firewire-cable
-> you see your HD as a FireWire-Drive on the desktop of the 2end computer
4. you run diskwarrior from the second computer

That will usually work just fine, and is another option. However, running DiskWarrior from hard drive is not as good in my opinion, because then DiskWarrior is running in an unknown environment. Incompatibilities from, for example, system hacks that are installed have been reported here to cause problems with DiskWarrior. Also, there's just sometimes that it is easier to transport a DiskWarrior CD than it is to transport an entire second computer, if you want to go fix the hard drive at your friend's house, for example.

Trevor

QHMotU
03-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks. I'll look into getting DiskWarrior. I don't have any frineds with a Mac in the area, so I'll have to get the CD. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone can help me with the 10.2.x du command....

ThreeDee
03-18-2007, 05:20 PM
You could always upgrade to 10.3 (10.4 recommended, as 10.5 is to be out soon!). You can purchase a legit copy of 10.3 for as little as $10-15 USD on eBay! Make sure to get the black retail disk, NOT a gray restore or upgrade disk.

QHMotU
03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I actually have a copy of 10.3 that someone... gave... me, but I was afraid to install it with only 1.8 GB of memory free.

If I can't get the du command figured out, is the next logical step to wipe the HD and do a system restore?

QHMotU
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
:mad:
Okay, my Mac wouldn't wake from sleep when I got home tonight, so I restarted, and now I only have 609 MB free! What's happening?!

I did some more searching and found this Terminal command:
sudo du -k | sort -rin

I copied the first bit of the results, since it sorted them by size:

1271316 .
706652 ./Desktop
483976 ./Desktop/CIII
280224 ./Library
186736 ./Desktop/CIII/CD Master

I know what the last four are -- what's the first one? Does this help me with my problem, or is this useless info? I'm not a Terminal user, but I'm usually good with my Mac.... This is wicked frustrating. Any help is very appreciated!

I'm running:
Mac OS 10.2.8
768 MB RAM
60 GB HD
800 MHz PowerPC G4
Flat-Panel iMac

outdevo
03-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Your Hard Drive space naturally gets used up by virtual memory. If you notice that when you initially bootup your cpu you will have 1 to 2 gb more then after having opened lots of apps and used your cpu awhile.

If you want to cut out lots of foolishly used up space I can recommend a few things.

Monolingual (get at macupdate.com) it will dump foriegn language files and ppc code that you will never use. That will get rid of about 2gb

Delete huge apps you know you will never use. Worldbook itself takes up a gig. Garageband's music library is a couple of gigs.

Empty your trash.

QHMotU
03-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Your Hard Drive space naturally gets used up by virtual memory. If you notice that when you initially bootup your cpu you will have 1 to 2 gb more then after having opened lots of apps and used your cpu awhile.

I understand that, but from one day with apps open to the next with no apps open right after a reboot I lose 1 GB? I don't understand.

To say nothing of the other 30+GB unaccounted for....

Thanks for the suggestions on deleting. I don't have Garageband, but I can get rid of a couple other things. At this rate, though, I'm afraid that if I turn off my computer and reboot I'll just lose the space I gained by deleting stuff to my enormous 'phantom' files.

Terminal Gurus:
I found the man du command while searching further, and this is what it returned, if it helps jog any memories out there of 10.2.x:

DU(1) BSD General Commands Manual DU(1)

NAME
du - display disk usage statistics

SYNOPSIS
du [-H | -L | -P] [-a | -s] [-ckrx] [file ...]

DESCRIPTION
The du utility displays the file system block usage for each file argu-
ment and for each directory in the file hierarchy rooted in each direc-
tory argument. If no file is specified, the block usage of the hierarchy
rooted in the current directory is displayed.

The options are as follows:

-H Symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links
encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.)

-L All symbolic links are followed.

-P No symbolic links are followed.

-a Display an entry for each file in the file hierarchy.

-k By default, du displays the number of blocks as returned by the
stat(2) system call, i.e. 512-byte blocks. If the -k flag is
specified, the number displayed is the number of 1024-byte
blocks. Partial numbers of blocks are rounded up.

-c Display the grand total after all the arguments have been pro-
cessed.

-r Generate warning messages about directories that cannot be read.
This is the default behaviour.

-s Display only the grand total for the specified files.

-x Filesystem mount points are not traversed.

du counts the storage used by symbolic links and not the files they ref-
erence unless the -H or -L option is specified. If either the -H or -L
options are specified, storage used by any symbolic links which are fol-
lowed is not counted or displayed. The -H, -L and -P options override
each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one spec-
ified.

Files having multiple hard links are counted (and displayed) a single
time per du execution.

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BLOCKSIZE If the environment variable BLOCKSIZE is set, and the -k
option is not specified, the block counts will be displayed in
units of that size block.

SEE ALSO
df(1), fts(3), symlink(7), quot(8)

HISTORY
A du command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.

I've tried messing with it, but I'm in waaaay over my head. Thanks so much for looking at my problem; I'm nowhere near a Mac repair place, so I'm beginning to worry....

hayne
03-21-2007, 08:39 AM
I did some more searching and found this Terminal command:
sudo du -k | sort -rin

I copied the first bit of the results, since it sorted them by size:

1271316 .
706652 ./Desktop
483976 ./Desktop/CIII
280224 ./Library
186736 ./Desktop/CIII/CD Master

I know what the last four are -- what's the first one? Does this help me with my problem, or is this useless info? I'm not a Terminal user

The "." (dot) refers to the current folder - i.e. the one that you were in when you ran the command. The 'du' command shows the space used in each of the folders hierarchically - so the space shown for "." includes the space shown for "./Desktop", "./Library", etc.

See this Unix FAQ if you want to get more familiar with Terminal commands:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=40648

The above shows that the folder CIII on your Desktop is takiung 484 MB.
But I suspect that the real disk space-using culprits you are looking for are not under your home folder.

Try redo-ing the 'du' command applied to the "/" folder (top of the disk) instead:

sudo du -k / | sort -rin

QHMotU
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks, hayne!!

Here's what I got (the first bit, anyway) with sudo du -k / | sort -rin:

108241650 /
49291432 /Volumes
49290624 /Volumes/Merv
48107236 /private
48102740 /private/var
48008000 /private/var/spool/cups
48008000 /private/var/spool
48006000 /private/var/spool/cups/tmp
15481540 /Volumes/Merv/iTunes
10196684 /Volumes/Merv/Games Folder on Merv
9184144 /Volumes/Merv/Backup Folder 2

(Merv is my external HD.)

Soooo.... What is that "private" thing, and how can I get rid of it, or is it safe to? Once this is fixed, is there a way to keep it from happening again?

Thanks so much!

hayne
03-22-2007, 03:29 AM
1) The /private folder is essential to OS X and it would be disastrous if you removed it.
But the above results show that it is the "var/spool/cups" sub-folder of /private that is taking up a lot (48 GB) of space.
CUPS is used for printing so this is probably some print job that is failing repeatedly or something.
It should be fine to remove the "tmp" sub-folder of /private/var/spool/cups
but there is also likely a way to clean this up via the usual printer-handling software of OS X.

2) You definitely should look at the log files for relevant error messages etc.
Launch the "Console" application (under /Applications/Utilities) and look for relevant error messages. Note that messages are labeled with the date & time so you can use that to locate the part of the log to look at. Copy & paste the relevant messages back here so we can see them.
Be sure to look at system.log as well as console.log (Use the "Logs" button (top-left) to see the various logs available - note that you will probably need to be an "admin" user to see the system.log)

QHMotU
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Ah, so it is the same problem as VizioNy's...! Just a different version of the OS.

Well, here's the bad news. In my attempt to fix this myself, I came across advice that said all your logs can build up and eat tons of space, so I used OnyX and deleted them....

But here's what I have in the console.log:

Edit: >snip<

I can't tell, but there might be a printer error in there, as I did try to print something a couple days ago and it failed.

The system.log only has a couple day's worth:

Edit: >snip<

My apologies if this is too much, but I have no clue what about 75% of this means. Feel free to laugh at me. :D I'll be happy to edit my post and delete all the log info after you've looked at it (hate to take up so much space...). Thanks for helping me.

hayne
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM
You are ignoring the part of my last post where I pointed out that the relevant log messages are the ones that occur at the time that you perform the action - in this case printing.

QHMotU
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to ignore, I just don't know what to look for, I guess. Will it use the word "printing" or "print" in the log message?

When I get home tonight I can try printing and then go back into the logs and look again if that will help.

Thanks.

hayne
03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to ignore, I just don't know what to look for, I guess.
You look at your watch and then note the time, then you print something and then see if there are any messages around that time in the logs.

And I think there may be a special log just for printing - look around in th elist of logs on the left side of the Console application.

QHMotU
03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Okay, I think this is closer. Sorry I misunderstood. In case it matters, the printing errors I tend to get are when I've got Classic running and print from OS X.

From Console.log:

/dev/disk0s5
/dev/disk0s5
2007-03-22 20:14:00.961 Print Center[630] CFLog (20): Printer Error: An Error Occurred while Printing

From system.log:

Mar 22 20:13:54 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29934.407 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:54 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29934.407 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:55 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29934.927 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:55 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29934.927 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:55 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29935.427 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:55 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29935.427 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:56 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29935.927 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:56 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29935.927 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:56 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29936.428 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:56 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29936.428 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:57 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29936.928 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:57 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29936.928 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:57 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29937.429 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:57 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29937.429 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:58 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29937.929 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:58 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29937.929 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:58 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29938.430 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:58 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29938.431 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:59 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29938.931 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:59 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29938.931 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)
Mar 22 20:13:59 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29939.431 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::handleOpen failing because super::handleOpen failed (someone already has it open)
Mar 22 20:13:59 *****s-Computer mach_kernel: USBF: 29939.431 USB Printer[0x37fe800]::open super::open failed (0x0)

From error_log:

I [22/Mar/2007:20:13:49 -0700] Job 578 queued on 'Stylus_CX3200' by 'qhmotu'.
I [22/Mar/2007:20:13:49 -0700] Started filter /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/PrintJobMgr/Contents/MacOS/PrintJobMgr (PID 629) for job 578.
E [22/Mar/2007:20:14:00 -0700] fatal: Communication error with the printer. Please reset (or turn on) the printer and try printing again.
I [22/Mar/2007:20:14:00 -0700] Saving printers.conf...
I [22/Mar/2007:20:14:00 -0700] Printer 'Stylus_CX3200' stopped by ''.
E [22/Mar/2007:20:14:01 -0700] PID 629 stopped with status 85!

Hopefully this is the right info this time. Thanks for your patience. I appreciate the help.

hayne
03-23-2007, 07:21 AM
I don't know what is causing those problems with the printer.
But your disk space problem is evidently caused by a built up of items in the spool folder that you discovered earlier. So you should go into Finder, then use the "Go to Folder" entry from the "Go" menu and type in the path to that spool folder:
/private/var/spool/cups
and then trash the "tmp" sub-folder using Finder and then empty the Trash.
Finally, restart your Mac and the disk space should be back.
You likely will still have problems with printing - that is a separate issue and one that I can offer no advice for - beyond searching these forums for discussion of similar printing problems.

QHMotU
03-24-2007, 06:02 PM
you should go into Finder, then use the "Go to Folder" entry from the "Go" menu and type in the path to that spool folder:
/private/var/spool/cups

It gave me a "folder not found" message. I was able to get to /private/var/spool, though.

The finder wouldn't let me open the folder "cups" to get at the tmp folder because I didn't "have sufficient access privileges." So I changed the ownership on both it and the tmp folder, then trashed the tmp folder. :)

It took over 15 hours to empty the trash, but I now have my hard drive back!

Thank you. :D

surfin1
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
I too am experiencing HD space loss.I am running 10.4.11

0B /.Trashes
512B /.vol
402M /Applications
1.0K /automount
3.5M /bin
0B /cores
512B /dev
0B /Groups
541M /Library
512B /Network
21M /opt
228G /private
2.2M /sbin
56K /Shared Items
1.1G /System
789M /Users
949M /usr
4.0K /Volumes
232G /

surfin1
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
So upon further investigation it seems amavis is the culprit what should I do to fix this it is marked private. Running 10.4.11 Server.
sudo du -x -h -d 1 /private/var
226G /private/var/amavis
0B /private/var/at
0B /private/var/audit
52K /private/var/backups
23M /private/var/clamav
16K /private/var/cron
3.3M /private/var/db
0B /private/var/empty
26M /private/var/imap
8.0K /private/var/jabber
0B /private/var/launchd
2.0G /private/var/log
0B /private/var/mail
24K /private/var/mailman
0B /private/var/msgs
44K /private/var/named
0B /private/var/netboot
160K /private/var/root
96K /private/var/run
0B /private/var/rwho
0B /private/var/samba
904K /private/var/servermgrd
18M /private/var/spool
0B /private/var/swupd
160K /private/var/tmp
65M /private/var/vm
0B /private/var/xgrid
16K /private/var/yp
228G /private/var

Onatopa
07-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I too am experiencing HD space loss. I am running 10.4.11

0B /.Trashes
512B /.vol
402M /Applications
1.0K /automount
3.5M /bin
0B /cores
512B /dev
0B /Groups
541M /Library
512B /Network
21M /opt
228G /private
2.2M /sbin
56K /Shared Items
1.1G /System
789M /Users
949M /usr
4.0K /Volumes
232G /

I was having similar issues with my new (new to me) G5 Dual 2.0GHz and was losing disk space at an alarming rate (several hundred MB/day as best I could tell). I've never been really good at the command line, in Unix, DOS keeps getting in the way, or something....that said, I come to macosxhints whenever I'm in trouble and sure-enough, via Google I found this forum/thread. Needless to say, I joined!

Using the info I gleaned from the thread, and using:

sudo du -k / | sort -rin

I noticed that my /Library was huge, much bigger than I remember it being in times past (~230GB). It's only a 320GB drive! So, I knew something was amiss in that folder. Scanning a bit more showed me that the TechTool Protection folder was packed with 300-400MB files. It seems as if TechTool was making backups of every drive attached (Internal or External) and had been doing this every, single, day since I installed the app a few months ago.

I'll assume it's my configuration (setup) of this well-know software, at this point. So, after blowing-away most all of these backup files (..files not folders), for which I have no need, I was able to free-up 126+GB of drive space. whewwww...talk about taking a load-off!

Thought I would share this as it's been driving me crazy and trying to keep-up with my HDD. Perhaps this might help some other folks too.
Food for thought and it's my first post! Woot~

nough said

~Slainte

Ona

Current System:
G5 Dual 2.0GHz
OS X 10.4.11
3 GB RAM
300 GB x2
2 TB SCSI RAID 1