PDA

View Full Version : network access restriction

bert212
02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
hi forum,

I like to switch graphically between 3 different login accounts (2 admin and 1 standard) but dont want one of the admin accounts to have any network access, mainly due to my temptation for wasting time online.
I dont want to remove the browser program (firefox) from this account as a workaround because I use it for working offline

Turning wifi on and off seems to apply the switch globally to all 3. Is there a way around this from the command line?

cwtnospam
02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Anything you can do from the command line can just as easily be undone. Why not just set Firefox to work offline? (File Menu)

tlarkin
02-22-2007, 05:02 PM
under parental controls in tiger you can restrict applications to user accounts. Not sure how well it would work on an admin account considering an admin account could just re enable everything for itself.

Squirtypoo
02-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I suppose you could use a login/logout hook to disable/enable the wifi network, though I'm not sure if these would work with fast user switching.

I think you'd be better off paying one of your colleagues to punch you in the nuts if they catch you procrastinating.

bert212
02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
i suppose i was also thinking about security because its a file vaulted account where i also keep password files and such like, and i need javascript enabled (which always causes concern).

Maybe something along the lines of a script to constantly poll (once every 30 seconds) which account is active and bringing up a total firewall and then dropping it as needs be?

tlarkin
02-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I think you'd be better off paying one of your
colleagues to punch you in the nuts if they catch you procrastinating.

I laughed at this a lot, but with my co-workers that would just start a ball punching war, and then no one would be productive hahaha.

bert212
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I like the sound of that too, but I hop around free wifi cafe's and that would involve asking complete strangers to do the dirty on me, but at least they'd get weirded out the place and i can hog all the bandwidth...

I looked at ps -Av but see no reference to user currently logged in. Anything I'm missing, (surely there's a script in the making here)