PDA

View Full Version : GarageBand: how to slow down a song

rda52
02-06-2007, 08:02 PM
this is my first time using garageband, so i dont really know what it can and cant do, so please accept my apology if i sound like a noob.

ok the problem is that i have a .mp3 song that i need to slow down, the song is for a theater performance. ive tried changing the tempo but it doesnt affect the track of the mp3 file only the master track, which doesnt slow down the song. how do i slow down the song, or what program should i use? thanks in advance.

theyranos
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
GarageBand's documentation seems to suggest that you can't do this.

Grab yourself a copy of Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Open the song, select the entire track, then go to "Change Tempo..." in the effects menu.

schneb
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Post to the folks here. You will get some great ideas and answers...

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1120&start=0

There is other software that would be better for this. There is Amazing Slowdowner, and my application of choice, AmadeusPro. With the latter you can adjust the speed without messing with the pitch (or vise verse).

http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html

GarageBand is a music creation application, not so much a sound manipulation application.

rda52
02-10-2007, 01:12 AM
thanks for the help guys and the audacity tip, it worked great.

Markus Dehmann
03-13-2007, 08:10 PM
You can slow a song down using GarageBand! You don't have to resort to Audacity or whatever.

It's a weird, but very simple procedure:

1. Drag your audio file (MP3, M4A, ...) in GarageBand. It's shown as an orange track.
2. Press Ctrl+Alt+G
3. Click the audio track. It is now blue.
4. Check "Follow Tempo & Pitch" (this is in the wave editor section, which you get by clicking the scissors symbol next to the eye)
5. Now change the tempo (next to the song time display)

Hope this helps!

This info is pretty hard to find on Google, so here a few more keywords: slow down, speed up, tempo-dependent track, change tempo, garageband as guitar trainer, blue track, velocity

theyranos
03-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Cool! If you don't mind my asking, do you know what the key combo in #2 is actually doing?

Changing the track's colour from orange to blue is nice, but I'm curious to know what those colours are supposed to mean.

EDIT:
Some quality time spent in GarageBand help has revealed the following colour key:

purple: "Real Instrument Recordings"
blue: "Real Instrument Loops"
orange: "Audio File"
green: "Software Instrument"

So apparently the key combo in #2 tells GarageBand that something is a real instrument rather than an audio file, a distinction which probably makes sense to some Apple engineer somewhere.

chabig
03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Two comments:

1. The keystroke in Garage Band is Command-Option-G

2. That changes the pitch along with the tempo. I took the original question to be asking how to change the speed without affecting pitch. I don't think Garageband can do that...But Quicktime Player can do that.

Open the Audio in Quicktime Player. Then open the AV Controls (Window > Show A/V Contols). In there, you can adjust the playback speed while keeping the pitch constant. Then Save As to a new file and that new file will play at your desired tempo.

Chris

Markus Dehmann
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
@chabig: The keystroke I gave above (Ctrl+Alt+G) changes the tempo and not the pitch in GarageBand. It's exactly what the original poster wanted. You don't need Quicktime Player.

chabig
03-15-2007, 01:06 PM
My goodness, you're right!

livveth
06-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Wait!! I can only see how to change the pitch with the slider.
I have clicked on "follow tempo and pitch", but how do I change the tempo?

theyranos
06-23-2008, 06:24 AM
http://example.drmoose.net/garageband.png

mastix
06-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi,

today I found this thread... because I also need help.

The hints you posted affect the whole Song... I just want one track (an mp3) to be faster... and the others should keep the old tempo.

Is that possible?

Regards,

mastix

django101
08-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi
I've been using the hint posted by Marcus Dehmann last year about slowing down a song using "ctrl+Alt+G" etc. It works like a dream on my Mac desktop.
I recently bought a MacBook and have tried the above keystrokes including pts 1 to 5 on the original posting. It changes the track to blue no problem, but I still can't get the tempo to change.
I've compared the settings on my MacBook with those on the desktop, and they seem to be similar. Except the one relating to the driver. Does this have any influence on the issue?
Is there a different key combination for a MacBook?
regards

Shiggity
06-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Hi,

today I found this thread... because I also need help.

The hints you posted affect the whole Song... I just want one track (an mp3) to be faster... and the others should keep the old tempo.

Is that possible?

Regards,

mastix

Yes, that "Follow Tempo & Pitch" option will lock the selected sound clips to the tempo, the unselected ones will change around them. If you need to adjust more than two tracks to different tempos with respect to each other, you can also do the above, export as a single waveform, reimport, and then adjust group N to a different tempo and pitch with respect to it.

The makers of GarageBand unfortunately made "Tempo" an attribute of the whole project rather than individual sound clips, and then retroactively added the "Follow Tempo & Pitch" option when they should have made "Tempo" an individual characteristic of sound clips as they did "Pitch."

towps
12-28-2009, 01:35 PM
this is a very valuable thread

okay so,
i'm trying the garageband solution
the command + option + g or command + control + g or whatever is not turning my orange track blue

i accidentally tried command + j which merged the tracks and made them purple but i can't seem to reproduce that and that doesn't seem to be what i want although i wanted to see if the follow tempo & pitch check box was enabled once it went purple but like i said i'm still trying to reproduce that

i also tried saving my audio file as a loop which made the track blue but i still couldn't adjust the tempo or access that follow tempo & pitch checkbox

is this still applicable in garage band '09 version 5.1?

lavendarlime
06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi
I've been using the hint posted by Marcus Dehmann last year about slowing down a song using "ctrl+Alt+G" etc. It works like a dream on my Mac desktop.
I recently bought a MacBook and have tried the above keystrokes including pts 1 to 5 on the original posting. It changes the track to blue no problem, but I still can't get the tempo to change.
I've compared the settings on my MacBook with those on the desktop, and they seem to be similar. Except the one relating to the driver. Does this have any influence on the issue?
Is there a different key combination for a MacBook?
regards

When using this version of GarageBand, the tempo slider can be found on the LCD. The easiest way to get there is to go to the Control Menu, and select Show Tempo in LCD (or ^⌘F). The Tempo Slider will be in the middle of the LCD.

maris421
09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I too have been successfully using Control-Option-G to change the track to purple so I can then change the pitch. However I tried to show this trick to a friend who also has an iMac, same version of Garageband, and it wouldn't work! Ideas?

hollyshort
03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
@chabig

Thanks so much for your suggestion to use Quicktime to slow down the tempo but not effect the pitch. Worked perfectly!

Holly

rmbarr
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I know I'm late to the party here but using Markus' method worked but it distorts the sound the more you slow it down. Is there any remedy to this problem?