PDA

View Full Version : i installed mozilla yesterday... today it was gone!! help please!

canadiansquirl
01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
well... i installed mozilla fire fox yesterday and today when i got home from school it was gone.

is this going to happen to all apps i install??:(

Irene
01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Are you sure that you actually installed it, by dragging the icon of the application to your applications folder? Could you have merely downloaded the application to the desktop, tried it from there and then trashed the "hard drive" looking download tool?

canadiansquirl
01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
im not sure... when i drag it to the applications folder it stays in the desktop, but a copy is made in the applications folder ( i think its a shortcut.. it has a little arrow in the corner..)

thanx for the reply

ThreeDee
01-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi, how did you 'install' the program? Did you download a disk image file? It looks like this:

Mac OS X uses it's own way to 'install' programs. It usually is a simple drag-and-drop, instead of a whole installer. To actually install a program, (not just open it in the download disk file), you drag the Firefox icon from the download disk to your own computer disk. A good place to drag this is the Applications folder You could drag it to your desktop, then move it to the Applications folder.

Afterwards, you can just 'eject' the disk image and put the download file in the trash.

From your description, it sounds like you were holding down some keys while dragging the icon.

Irene
01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
The one with the little arrow is an Alias, which is no good if the original gets trashed. An Alias points to the real version of itself, it is indeed a kind of shortcut. You want the real icon of any application you download to be in "Applications" and then you can have an alias anywhere else you like. .

canadiansquirl
01-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi, how did you 'install' the program? Did you download a disk image file? It looks like this:

not sure what u mean.. but when i installed it from the "firefox 2.0.0.1.dmg file from the desktop

canadiansquirl
01-30-2007, 06:59 AM
yay!!!! i finally got it thnx a bunch!!

ohh.. and yeah it was the thingy "threeDee" said i was doing wrong !!

lolz well cyas