PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 10.0.4 to 10.4

detroit
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I have an iMac that had 9.2 on it. I installed 10.0 on it a while ago and have the 10.4 dvd but it won't install. I am using an external DVD drive to run the dvd, but when I run the install and click restart to being installation, it simply restarts the computer like normal but doesn't install anything. Do I have to hold something down when it's starting up? Why is it not installing?

JDV
01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Is your external drive USB or FireWire? In order to boot from the Tiger DVD, it needs to be a FireWire drive. If it is a FireWire device, then you should be able to select it as the boot device when in 10.0 and then it should boot from that drive. You SHOULD be able to press the "option" key at boot to select the boot drive, but I honestly don't know if that was a feature in 10.0.

Joe VanZandt

detroit
01-25-2007, 01:32 PM
The drive only comes with a usb cable, but I'm assuming it should support a firewire one because it is a bran new LaCie external drive but I'm not sure because the box just says USB 2.0.

JDV
01-25-2007, 03:50 PM
If it just supports USB 2.0, that would be unfortunate; it really MUST be a firewire drive to be able to boot from your DVD, so you should probably tell us exactly what model it is, or--better yet--talk to the vendor from whom you bought it and ask whether it supports FireWire, and if it does--you need a cable anyway. If not, perhaps you can exchange it for a model that does support FireWire, as that would be far preferable in any case.

Joe VanZandt

tlarkin
01-25-2007, 04:52 PM
update your firmware first before you install....you'll thank me later

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117