PDA

View Full Version : Slow Boot Mac OSX

vittele
01-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a PowerMac G5 1.6GHZ. Only 256MB Mem with an 80gig HD.
I was hoping someone had some suggestions what to do about a slow boot. It's taking me at least 2.5 minutes to startup my computer sometimes 3 minutes. Not's not right at all. I have 25gig left on my HD. I'm in the process of getting more RAM (1gig). Before I installed that mem, I wanted to try to fix the current problem if I could so I don't just mask it and have future problems. I safe booted and it took about the same amount of time... 2.5 minutes.
Thanks for your help.

vittele
01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a PowerMac G5 1.6GHZ. Only 256MB Mem with an 80gig HD.
I was hoping someone had some suggestions what to do about a slow boot. It's taking me at least 2.5 minutes to startup my computer sometimes 3 minutes. Not's not right at all. I have 25gig left on my HD. I'm in the process of getting more RAM (1gig). Before I installed that mem, I wanted to try to fix the current problem if I could so I don't just mask it and have future problems. I safe booted and it took about the same amount of time... 2.5 minutes.
Thanks for your help.

j_dub_muss
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Try the memory, cause that may just be the problem. Also I would pick up a copy of Tech Tool Pro and run an advanced diagnostic and also optimize and perform a maintainence test on it.

chabig
01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
See this thread, where the identical issue is being discussed:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=66543

Chris

vittele
01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the help. Does Tech Tool Pro run 80 bucks or so? I guess it's better to do that then take it to a Mac Tech and pay 180. Thanks for the advise. How do I get in the low level prompt (equ to dos prompt)? I'm thinking I might have a program that the computer doesn't like.

bramley
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
What Mac OS X are you running?

Please paste the contents of your system.log in a post here during the boot process. Use /Applications/Utilities/Console.app to view the logs. Note the log shows the date and time down the left hand side so that you can locate the relevant messages that appear during the boot process.

vittele
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9

hayne
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
vittele:
I have merged your new thread with the existing one on the same subject. Please don't start new threads when there is an existing one on the same (or similar) subject. If you think your thread is in the wrong forum section, contact one of the moderators and ask to have it moved.

bramley
01-22-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9
I've read your private messages to me - and there doesn't seem to be any error messages or pauses in the boot process.

I would also point out that according to the log it only takes 22 seconds to boot your machine. Doesn't seem execessive to me.

Do you have auto-login on? What happens when you turn it off?

Please post responses to these forums rather than through private messages - you'll get a quicker reply, and somebody might spot something I'd miss.