PDA

View Full Version : Remote Display (TV) via Firewire (iMac-intel)

kkamann
01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I have my DLP TV hooked up to iMac via firewire. In system profiler, I can see it as "YR2004" (don't know what this means..TV model is WD-62628) but it correctly identifies Mitsubishi as the manufacturer. However, when I go into System Preferences, Displays, I cannot find it when I run Detect Displays.

What am I missing here? I would like to be able to see my desktop on my TV through the firewire. Please help.

DeltaMac
01-13-2007, 10:32 PM
The FireWire connection is not a video connection from your Mac, it is a data/control connection

From the manual for your WD-62628
To display your PC screen on the TV, first connect the PC to the HDMI 2 input on the TVís back panel (see Chapter 2). You must then activate the PC option in NetCommand. You can do this during initial NetCommand setup by selecting the PC option in the Device Setup screen. To do this at any time afterwards, use the NetCommand Add function. ...

If yours is an Intel iMac, you will need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, then an adapter from DVI to HDMI - then you will be able to see your desktop on the TV.

kkamann
01-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Now I don't know if this is data/control or video connection, when it comes to the technical definition of these terms. But I have been able to play digital video from the iMac to the TV via Firewire. I used VirtualDVHS emulator found on the FireWire SDK. The video sample looked beautiful on the 62" HD. I know that FireWire can, in fact, send streaming video through FireWire via the emulator.

So it is just a matter of getting the iMac to send desktop/display in the same manner that the DVHS emulator does....somehow.

I am aware of the mini-DVI-->DVI-->HDMI path written in the TV manual. I also know the manual states that some non-A/V firewire devices (mentions PCs) are not able to be shown. The manual makes no mention on sending video from PC via firewire. Yet, I can do this (via emulator), which seems contradictory to the manual.

I think the only way to get this to work, however, is to capture somehow your desktop activities as a streaming MPEG-2 (.m2t) and ship it down the pipe.

DeltaMac
01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
I guess if you saw a video sample, then you should be able to stream any video data, but not likely the screen video.

Connecting an external display to use as your primary display, or to show a mirrored image of your screen, or even an extended desktop - requires a video connection. The streaming data that you can send over the FireWire cable is not the same. You already know you can show a movie, streaming through the FireWire connection, that's simply a data file. but the internal video is not a data file that can easily be streamed. That will need the DVI-HDMI connection to be interpreted as video by the TV.

kkamann
01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree with your assessment as I am learning more on this subject. Do you know the format the video connection uses? It do not think it is an NTSC signal, and it is obviously digital. DVI is hardware on Mac, but I think there are software based DVI algorithms around (Intel's Indeo??). I wonder if there is something like this for a Mac...just trying to see if there is a hypothetical answer to this mental challenge. Obviously, there isn't a quick and easy answer.

DeltaMac
01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
... I wonder if there is something like this for a Mac...just trying to see if there is a hypothetical answer to this mental challenge. Obviously, there isn't a quick and easy answer.

Eh? Quick & Easy Answer™ here (it's in your TV manual, like I said, adapted for the actual hardware you have):
Get Mini-DVI to DVI adapter for your iMac. Plug in DVI to HDMI adapter, and attach same to TV.
Problem solved. FireWire is NOT your best solution, and will only help you with viewing video files, and not the hardware video provided by the Mac. FireWire is a data path, not a video signal path.