PDA

View Full Version : iTunes only plays 10 seconds of purchased music....

borbosha
01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Ok I have a problem with iTunes and purchased music. I have a backup of the iTunes folder from an old mac that I have put onto a new mac in the ~/Music folder. The iTunes backup is from another mac that was using iTunes 7 (same as the new mac). I have done this before and it works without a problem once you authorize the new machine.

The problem I am having is that this time, even after authorizing this machine (the only machine that is authorized), the purchased music will only play for about 10 seconds then it changes songs. Music that was ripped from CD does not have this problem and will play all the way through the song. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening.

PS: the new computer is a re-purpose computer that we just created a new user account on. We have not had the chance yet to re-format with a clean install and the old user had an iTunes account on their user account.

tatilsever
01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I remember something like that happening on some Motorola phones with iTunes, right after iTunes 7 came out, but it got fixed by a later iTunes update.

Do you have the latest QuickTime and iTunes updates?

borbosha
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I ran the OS X Software Update from the apple menu and it didn't find any updates so I assume that I do have the latest. However, I will double check tomorrow at work.

borbosha
01-12-2007, 10:09 AM
It looks as tho the old system still had iTunes 7.0.1 and the new system is using 7.0.2 so I am going to try downloading iTunes 7.0.1 and see if that fixes the problem.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't help. The music still won't play more than 10 seconds. She did purchase a song yesterday to test if it was an issue with new music and the new song will play without issues.

tatilsever
01-12-2007, 03:58 PM
EDIT: Nope, that didn't help. The music still won't play more than 10 seconds. She did purchase a song yesterday to test if it was an issue with new music and the new song will play without issues.
Something is fishy, I would definitely contact Apple. They have a good customer support system, I am pretty sure they can fix it. In the worst case scenario, they can let you download all your purchases again.

hayne
01-12-2007, 05:38 PM
the new computer is a re-purpose computer that we just created a new user account on. We have not had the chance yet to re-format with a clean install and the old user had an iTunes account on their user account.

If by "re-purpose computer" you mean that you bought it used, you definitely should erase the drive and reinstall OS X from the Install DVD/CD.

borbosha
01-13-2007, 07:48 PM
No, it was another employees machine and when they left the company we created a new user for the person replacing her.

I tried putting the iTunes folder on a computer that had just been reformatted and the same issue came up. I believe this is an Apple issue and we will probably have to wait for an update to get it working correctly.

Thanks for the help.

hayne
01-13-2007, 08:20 PM
I believe this is an Apple issue and we will probably have to wait for an update to get it working correctly.

Since there aren't millions of people complaining about this, it would seem rather unlikely that the problem is related to the iTunes software or the OS.

Instead, it seems likely that the files you have in that iTunes folder are corrupted.

Can you play them with QuickTime Player (using File / Open to open one of the afflicted files)?

borbosha
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
I will have to check on Monday when we are at work. I was thinking about the possibility of corrupt files and am hoping that isn't the case since her old machine is from a different employer.