PDA

View Full Version : iTunes: how to move a podcast to the normal music library?

riddle
01-01-2007, 07:47 AM
[This is an iTunes question, not strictly an iPod question.]

I've been listening to MP3 blogs as podcasts, which is great until I decide I like a song and want to keep it. I can't for the life of me figure out how to tell iTunes to stop treating a particular file as a podcast and start treating it as it would a normal MP3.

No matter what I do, the song fails to show up in LIBRARY > Music and, if I save the file and reimport it, returns to LIBRARY > Podcasts. Not only is that not how I want to manage my music, but I'm worried that the file will get deleted in the normal course of clearing out old podcasts.

Things I've tried:

- changing the genre from "Pocast" to something else in the Get Info dialogue
- cleaning up the ID3 metadata in ID3X
- deleting the podcast from iTunes and reimporting the file
- physically moving the file into the appropriate folder under iTunes Music
- duplicating and renaming the file in Finder and reimporting it
- consolidating my library

I've even inspected the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file for a field I could edit but don't see one that marks podcasts.

Is there no way to move a podcast into my permanent music library?

thegloufactory
01-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Assuming you are using iTunes 7 select the podcast you wish to transfer

goto the advanced menu

use Convert selection to whatever format you're saving you're music in and you're done

riddle
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks very, very much -- that did the trick.

Now if I could just understand *why*. It was already in MP3 format so the "Convert Selection to MP3" function seems misnamed, at best. Furthermore, if I've got a copy of the MP3 file outside of iTunes and reimport it, I don't see why iTunes should want to continue to treat it as a podcast.

I realize that it may seem ungrateful of me to want to know why something works as long as it does so. :-) Still, if anybody can explain the logic, I'm all ears...

Thanks again!