PDA

View Full Version : At Wits End: OSX Keeps Hanging

christianhgross
12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
My OSX computer (PPC PowerBook G4 third generation) was working very well until I decided to format the computer and reinstall everything.

Once I did a fresh install OSX keeps hanging. It seems to be related to Java, but I am unsure. Here is what I have done:

1) Reinstalled
2) Ran BIOS level diagnostics and they said nothing was wrong with the computer.
3) Ran software level diagnostic tools and they said nothing was wrong with the system.

Here is what happens. I start up OSX, and then let it run for a while. Then without warning the entire system locks (nothing moves), and the fan goes crazy indicating that maybe the CPU is doing something.

If I install Linux Ubuntu for PPC my system never hangs and everything works as is...

Any suggestions?

trevor
12-20-2006, 12:01 PM
BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System. No Mac has ever had a BIOS. PPC Macs since the iMac/ Blue&White G3 have all used a much more advanced and versatile bootstrap firmware called Open Firmware. The Intel Macs use EFI: Extensible Firmware Interface.

What diagnostics did you run? Please be precise.

What makes you think the problem is related to java?

When you reinstalled OS X, exactly (and please be extremely precise) what disc did you use to reinstall? Please tell us everything that it says on the face of the disc.

Why DID you decide to reformat the computer and reinstall? Were you already having some kind of problem?

What messages appear in your logs when your computer hangs? You can easily view your logs using the Console app, in /Applications/Utilities. First start by checking the console.log and the system.log. Note that most messages are time and date stamped so you can match the message with events (such as the computer hanging) by time.

Have you run a good memory checker (by which I mean memtest OS X: http://memtestosx.org ) overnight, or over a long weekend?

Trevor

christianhgross
12-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I will post a full reply tomorrow after running the mem tests