PDA

View Full Version : Quicken sunsetting

allanb
12-20-2006, 02:20 AM
I have Quicken 2005 on my Mac and I would like to go on using it, in spite of Intuit's questionable "sunsetting" policies. My question is: does Intuit need access to my computer in order to disable things, or is there something already lurking in the software? Or have they placed a cookie that will let them have their evil way?

I don't use any of their online services and I can happily live without any contact with them.

Irene
12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
If you don't care about the online Quicken stuff and use it as very neat checkbook, you can use it until an OS doesn't work with it--many, many, years. I used Quicken (no year-- it was that old) until OSX. Then my new Macs began coming with newer versions of Quicken.

cpragman
12-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I've read reports/complaints online about the 2006 version not nicely importing the data files from prior versions. Some folks have complained that they had to re-enter all their stock/brokerage transactions. I don't know if that is still the case, but that DID scare me away from quickly upgrading to Q2006 when it came out, so I've stayed put.

I'm still happily using Q2003. The only online feature I use is downloading quotes, which still seems to work, but has been failing occassionally recently.

blubbernaut
12-20-2006, 06:07 PM
More people need to start looking at the alternatives out there and maybe Intuit will start getting the message. Much like the mass evacuation of the Quark mothership when Indesign hit it's stride and Quark 6.5 still looked and worked pretty much like Quark 3.3 did.

Treating your customers like this should lead to a quick and hard downfall.

Have a look around, because I've been seeing good reviews of some very cheap and even free accounting software for the mac.