PDA

View Full Version : Tiling windows

0rthodontist
12-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Is there any way to set windows to be tiled into a grid format, either within an individual application or for all windows, so that I can see them at a glance (I don't mean pressing f9, I mean just always set to tiled) without manually arranging them)?

yellow
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Beyond what Exposť does?

Not by default.

Don't know of any third party apps that will do it for you either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

JDV
12-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Not that I am aware of, although you can use Expose (F9, or set a hot corner for it) to sort of accomplish this on the fly.

Joe VanZandt

styrafome
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Expose won't do it because you (mostly) can't do work in that mode. I think the OP's talking about a command like Tile that's in all Windows and some enlightened Mac apps, where all open windows are actually rearranged to take up equal amounts of space on screen. Macromedia/Microsoft/Adobe apps do it, presumably to keep parity across platforms. I think BBEdit does it too.

JDV
12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I think styrafome is right that this is what the poster wants, but if an individual application doesn't have it as an option, I don't know any way to do it.

Joe VanZandt

hucklebuck
12-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Is there any way to set windows to be tiled into a grid format... ?

Some applications...

Select Window in the menubar, hold down the option key and watch Bring all to front change to Arrange in front; select "Arrange" to get rude tiling.

hi yellow ;-]

chabig
12-01-2006, 12:33 PM
You don't actually "work" in multiple windows at the same time. I just command-tilde through them to switch.

0rthodontist
12-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Some applications...

Select Window in the menubar, hold down the option key and watch Bring all to front change to Arrange in front; select "Arrange" to get rude tiling.

hi yellow ;-]

Ah, yes, that helps but that's more like "cascade" than tiling. Also some applications don't have a bring-all-to-front key, though at least command prompt and text editor do.

Chabig, yes I do work in multiple windows at the same time--typically frequent switching/pasting. I use command-tilde too but tiling would be better.

yellow
12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Some applications...

hi yellow ;-]

Which applications? It didn't work for Safari, Mail, or Terminal.

Ah.. I see.. the cascading, I don't think that's what the original poster was refering to. I know it's not what I was referring to.

hucklebuck
12-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey yellow,

Right, cascading, not tiling. The apps you mention do 'arrange' windows in a cascade and so do TextEdit, Stickies, Finder.

I think the only solution for 0rtho is an AppleScript, an ugly, buggy AppleScript (-:

Craig R. Arko
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
The only program I know of that does that feature reasonably well is BBEdit. MPW used to be outstanding at window management, but that is of course an old Classic development system.

hayne
12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
You could probably write an AppleScript to tile your windows.
In fact, maybe somebody has already written one - check at macscripter.net

0rthodontist
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
macscripter.net and google don't seem to have very much about window tiling. I guess maybe I could write a script, if I learned AppleScript.

hayne
12-01-2006, 02:05 PM
macscripter.net and google don't seem to have very much about window tiling
I'm not sure what you searched for, but I see several hits from google when I search for: applescript tile windows
http://www.google.com/search?q=applescript+tile+windows

In particular, the following AppleScript is high in the search results:
http://bbs.applescript.net/viewtopic.php?pid=49916

0rthodontist
12-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Ah yes, that does look promising.

NovaScotian
12-01-2006, 02:20 PM
The AppleScript Hayne linked tiles all the windows of a given application.

As you will see if you look at it, it takes a lot of work. To do this for all applications would be more work because the screen properties have to be found, the location and size of the dock noted, all the visible windows of every application that has one or more open must be determined, then the screen size must be "parsed" for the tiling arrangement (for which some rules must be determined), and finally each of the windows has to be sized and relocated to fit the pattern. For some applications, like Preview, that's not easy - it's not scriptable, so workarounds have to be used (it can be done). I don't know of any more "direct" route; the system won't help directly although it might be possible to get the window manager to do some of it.