PDA

View Full Version : itunes won't stay closed and keeps opening itself

kid4today
11-27-2006, 04:41 AM
I have an intel imac and the latest version of itunes, whenever i try to quit itunes it disappears for a few seconds then re-opens itself. it also occasionally just opens by itself. it doesn't seem to matter how i try to close it either, i can use the menu or keyboard and it still opens itself back up a few seconds after closing. I have no ipod connected and have disabled the itunes widget on my dashboard. This is also messing up shut downs as itunes cancels the shut down each time by re-opening itself which is extremely annoying. I think it may be messing with my ipod aswell, after i sync my ipod with itunes it creates errors on the ipod drive (i have to repair it with disk utility each time). I'm new to macs and am unsure how to uninstall itunes, but i'd like to try this and then reinstall to see if it makes any difference. If i do uninstall then reinstall will itunes remember certain things such as my track ratings, playlists etc? i know that on my old pc itunes had a library file that remembered this sort of thing so you could reinstall then replace the library file with an old saved version.

Jay Carr
11-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't uninstall, there is a slightly easier 'reset' you can do with OSX.

First, make a second user. Go into that second user (and make sure you shut down the first one) and see if iTunes does the same thing. If it does, we have a big problem and you're going to want to just report back at that point.

But if not (which is what I suspect) then you have a bad preference file (which I swear is the problem half the time...). At that point you going to find the preference file by searching for all iTunes files inside of spotlight then looking for anything that ends with ".plist".

Once you find that, move it to your desktop and see if that fixes it. If it does, then delete the .plist on your desktop. If not...well, it might be a good idea to come back and describe what happened.

hayne
11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I have an intel imac and the latest version of itunes, whenever i try to quit itunes it disappears for a few seconds then re-opens itself. it also occasionally just opens by itself.

This sort of problem has been reported here before - so search for other discussions. I think it has always turned out to be some iTunes-related Widget or other iTunes-helper app that is causing the trouble.

ThreeDee
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Yes, if iTunes keeps opening, there is some program most likely doing it on purpose. There is probably a program open (maybe in the background) that uses iTunes for something. Some that I know of are: iEatBrainz (Music tagger), Fetch Art (Cover art downloader), iModz (Changes iChat status to current track iTunes).

styrafome
11-27-2006, 03:38 PM
iTunes restarts itself on my machine if I forget to quit RadioDays (announces current track with voice).

Jay Carr
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, forgot to mention that my computer was doing that too...I have SizzleKeys, it likes to reopen it some time. Just not with the same tenacity.

kid4today
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
This sort of problem has been reported here before - so search for other discussions. I think it has always turned out to be some iTunes-related Widget or other iTunes-helper app that is causing the trouble.

i DID search. ever heard the term 'looking for a needle in a haystack"? i found many many threads about itunes problems but none that described the problem i was having specifically within the first few, and no i am not going to spend 3 days looking through thousands of previous threads. i tried various different search terms also, such as 'itunes won't close' and 'itunes reopening'. i also searched google and found 3 different pages on various sites describing my problem, none of which contained a cure however. Also if you look at my post you'll see i already turned off itunes widgets. thanks for your non help though.

everyone else, thanks for all the suggestions, after further investigation it appears to be a problem with the last.fm scrobbler. if i quit that first then itunes i have no problems.

hayne
11-28-2006, 01:10 AM
if you look at my post you'll see i already turned off itunes widgets. thanks for your non help though.

everyone else, thanks for all the suggestions, after further investigation it appears to be a problem with the last.fm scrobbler. if i quit that first then itunes i have no problems.

That "last.fm scrobbler" would seem to fall into the category of "other iTunes-helper app" which was one of the things I mentioned above as being likely causes of the problem. Thanks for your non thanks, though.

jeremiah457@aol.
12-16-2007, 02:12 AM
When my iTunes kept reopening, I closed the 'sing that tune' widget... worth a try if u have the widget and the problem

slick519
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
ahhh, finally after months of this issue plaguing me i fixed it.

I originally knew that iwow was screwing it up (had to quit the process 'genredetection' before it would quit)
After upgrading to the newer version of iWow (v3.0.1.155 or something like that) iWow was no longer the culprit, as the dev. smartly axed the 'genredetection' process.

but still, my problem persisted.

Then i realized that Geek Tool is set up to notify me of the current track's lyrics and song info. I disabled Geek Tool, and viola... iTunes quit (and stayed quit) for the first time in about a year!!! I then restarted Geek Tool, and like clockwork, itunes opened up again. Then i went back to the Geek Tool pref pane and unchecked the boxes related to the itunes scripts i was running, quit itunes, and then rechecked those very same boxes, enabling said scripts. iTunes stayed quit for once!! My dilemma is (for now) solved. Praise be to God!!

datopboi
07-27-2011, 06:24 AM
I also had this problem with my intel mac. I figured out it was one of my applications that prevented itunes from closing. I downloaded an alarm clock widget so I could get up for work after I broke my mobile telephone. After I deleted it, my itunes could close with no problems. Try looking through your apps/widgets that has anything to do with itunes, and uninstall any that you don't need.
Hope this helps :)

avalon
08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
iMac 10,1 (3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), OS 10.6.6

My iTunes (10.2) seems to turn on like an alarm clock (10:27 am today), I'm not usually on this computer at that time so I've mostly noticed iTunes being on when I do come to it (today I was on this one at today's activation time). I don't have a widget that is doing it, my Alarm Clock app isn't the culprit, I can't see anything in Activity Monitor that looks unusual. It's been happening about 8 days now and the only things that have changed in that time range are that we lost power and the Mac ran out the UPS because we weren't home, and twice now the Display won't wake up from sleep. All of these did start at about the time of the power failure but I'm not seeing much reason to expect that is the problem. I will try being open overnight today as a different user to test that at 10:27 tomorrow.

Any other suggestions on what to look into?

avalon
08-01-2011, 10:37 AM
My bad, not quite like an alarm clock. It just reopened at 11:33:00 am but it didn't start playing anything this time.

MacMunfordGB
03-03-2012, 09:08 AM
iTunes adds itself to your firewall. If you remove it, it will stop. That can break stuff. I found that my iPad is wirelessly syncing and wakes it up every time I exit. I turned off my wireless sync for the iPad and it stopped.

hira2
03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Yes, if iTunes keeps opening, there is some program most likely doing it on purpose. There is probably a program open (maybe in the background) that uses iTunes for something. Some that I know of are: iEatBrainz (Music tagger), Fetch Art (Cover art downloader), iModz (Changes iChat status to current track iTunes).