PDA

View Full Version : Startup Problems!!!

ma11590
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Im running an iBook G4 with version 10.4.8
and i had been using my laptop to download stuff off a bittorrent program. (im pretty sure this had nothing to do with it) but i shutdown my laptop and turned it on and now it's stuck on the apple screen.

It stays there for a minute or two and then shuts off.

In Single User Mode. (im not an expert on it or anything) but when i ran that system check thing /sbin/fsck -fy it says Invalid sibling link (4, 19308) and then on the next line it says Volume check failed.

Does anybody know what i can do? (FYI) this is a school issued laptop so i can't do anything to it like restore it with a cd or anything like that. :(

hayne
11-21-2006, 11:28 AM
You could buy DiskWarrior and use it to fix your filesystem.
But that would require that you have the admin password - do you have admin access on this Mac?
If not, you should just take it to the school's tech support people and tell them it has filesystem corruption that 'fsck' can't fix.

ma11590
11-21-2006, 11:31 AM
You could buy DiskWarrior and use it to fix your filesystem.
But that would require that you have the admin password - do you have admin access on this Mac?
If not, you should just take it to the school's tech support people and tell them it has filesystem corruption that 'fsck' can't fix.

i do have admin access. But no money to buy that program. So it's filesystem corruption?

hayne
11-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Yes - that's what the message from 'fsck' is saying.
fsck can fix some types of filesystem corruption (that's its purpose in life) but not all types.

If you have a backup of the files that you care about, I don't see what is stopping you from erasing the disk and reinstalling OS X. I guess it's that you don't have the Install DVD.

ma11590
11-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes - that's what the message from 'fsck' is saying.
fsck can fix some types of filesystem corruption (that's its purpose in life) but not all types.

If you have a backup of the files that you care about, I don't see what is stopping you from erasing the disk and reinstalling OS X. I guess it's that you don't have the Install DVD.

thanx anyway man but i can't mess with stuff like that or i can get in trouble, so im gonna have to go to school and talk to the tech, which i'll have to wait until Monday since it's a holiday and im off this whole week. This laptop is a loaner because i had problems with my laptop. So now that one and this loaner is messed up. Bummer. Well again, thanx.

JDV
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Whether your school will care that you were using a torrent program on a school machine I can't say, but it seems very likely that their tech people will have access to Disk Warrior if they maintain Macs very much, so my suggestion would be to seek out their help. Disk Warrior is very good at fixing the kind of problem reported by fsck, so they probably won't be really upset--these things happen.

Joe VanZandt

ma11590
11-21-2006, 01:12 PM
ya well im sure. cuz they do use macs at our school. Although they say bittorrents are illegal im sure the techs won't care. I've never really worried about it before. And im also sure that they have that program u talked about. but i will have to wait since they can't just do it right then and there. they have to take it to the tech building which isn't on campus.