PDA

View Full Version : can't import video to iTunes...

drsnuggles
11-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I've got the latest version of iTunes and it absolutely will NOT import any video. I've tried the "drag and drop" and the "add to library" function with several Quicktime videos

...am I overlooking something here?

mig1980
11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
You have to make sure that they are the proper format that iTunes will recognize. Google the iTunes formats and that will solve your issue. You can also convert your videos to the proper format if you have the Quicktime Pro.

kyodommi
11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I have a similarly very vexing problem. I have a video that I downloaded from Google Video (the .mp4 version) and it just refuses to import into iTunes. I have the latest iTunes software, and I have a Macbook (10.4.8). When I was using Tiger on my Powerbook, I did not have this problem. Please help.

Simon Ocean
11-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Here's what you need to do:

Open the movie in Quicktime, save as a reference movie.

This will generate an extra file that is a reference file to your original movie.

Drop the reference movie onto iTunes, this create a link between the reference and the original movie file.

You can then "get info" on the reference file in iTunes and change the name etc.

This has worked every single time I have tried it with avi, divx and mov.

This also enables the video to be opened in FrontRow too.

rulation
12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
i have the exact same (and frustrating) problem, so i have one question... exactly what do i have to do to save as a reference movie?

thnx in advance...:)

schneb
12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Open your movie. In QT, go to "Save as..." and make sure to choose "Reference Movie".

Simon Ocean
12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Beat me to it, Schneb! :D

schneb
12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Gotta be quick. ;) But you gave the lion's share of info. And yes, this DOES work.

rulation
12-07-2006, 11:34 PM
damn :( i need quicktime pro isn't it?
is there any other way?

Tatie
01-22-2007, 06:08 AM
I have used iTunes for over a year and I was always able to simply drag and drop all my mp4 files into the libarary.

I had to reinstall my entire system software last week and suddenly the newly downloaded iTunes application won't play any of my movies and won't show me videos I bought in the iTunes store either... it drives me mad. Does anybody know about changes to iTunes?

This seems to be the only forum discussing this problem at the moment so I assume it has got something to do with the latest iTunes version?

Can anybody help?

Merci beaucoup.
Tatie

graphicgeek80
01-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Tatie: If you reinstalled everything you probably need to reauthorize that computer to play files bought off iTunes. Unfortunately I never buy anything off iTunes so I don't know exactly how to go about it, but try simply logging onto the store and looking under preferences.

ConcernedCitizen
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I have the same problems. Purchased videos off ITunes, cannot preview them in ITunes, cannot convert them to IPOD and cannot import my own IPOD videos or any videos for that matter to ITunes. Never had these problems with ITunes 6, but that version isn't compatible with my IPOD.

ThreeDee
01-23-2007, 04:00 PM
You don't NEED QTP. I though iSquint could do that or something? Or even iMovie and export to iPod format?

Simon Ocean
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
You're right ThreeDee, you can use iSquint, VisualHub, HandBrake or QTP.

See this Previous Post (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=66327&highlight=destroying+movie)

ConcernedCitizen
01-25-2007, 05:12 AM
I solved the issue I was having by downloading the newest QuickTime 7 and now ITunes will allow me to import movies. For rendering, I prefer ISquint over QuickTime Pro. ISquint seems to render the movie faster. It's so stupid easy and free. It does what it does very well.

Tatie
01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Thank you all so much for yor help!!!

It was indeed Quicktime that wasn't updated properly when I reinstalled all the software. What a simple mistake to make... hopefully this might help others with similar iTunes problems?

Tx

kulandai
02-16-2007, 06:59 AM
damn :( i need quicktime pro isn't it?
is there any other way?

You can use iTunes to convert video files to iPod format video: http://blog.josephkulandai.com/2007/01/how-to-convert-video-to-ipod-format.html

jcc17
04-05-2007, 09:04 PM
even thought this is a MAC forum, i hav a PC and i need help, maybe some one could help me. i have and ipod vide (5gen) and i want to be able to put my own videos on it instead of buying them again on itunes. i would appreciate it if some one could tell me how to do this or tell me of a program that will allow me to do this that works for PC's and thats free. thanks!

yellow
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
even thought this is a MAC forum, i hav a PC and i need help, maybe some one could help me. i have and ipod vide (5gen) and i want to be able to put my own videos on it instead of buying them again on itunes. i would appreciate it if some one could tell me how to do this or tell me of a program that will allow me to do this that works for PC's and thats free. thanks!

Yes, this is a Mac forum.

jcc17
04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
everything in this forum tells you how to convert the movies that are already on the computer.
first i want to know how i can put my dvd's on the computer in order to do everything else. HELP! :eek:

hagar08
04-21-2008, 03:20 AM
hey,
if you want to import videos without reconverting them, you can use VideoDrive. It allows you to add the videos, including metadata and DVD covers. Very cool, and easy as it supports all current formats :). It uses QuickTime as the underlying framework but does not require you to purchase a QT Pro license. It's available here http://www.aroona.net

QUIQUEFLY
08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Awesome solution thxs bud

Wingit
01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I have done everything that Simon Ocean has suggested and have been able to now bring my mp4 movies into itunes. I recently purchased an Apple TV. The Apple TV will not sync or recognize the movies that are currently in itunes. None of these movies were purchased from Apple or were copied from a DVD. They were downloaded from torrents from sites like the Pirate Bay.

Is there any way to watch these movies using my new Apple TV?

crman
01-19-2009, 06:23 PM
I have used both methods of converting video - opening QT and saving the video as a reference movie, and I downloaded VideoDrive and converted a video using that. Doing that I was able to import both videos to iTunes but the problem is that I only get sound from the computer speaker outlet.

I have an Airport Express and would like to send the sound from the videos to that so I can play the sound through my amplifier. But when I import these videos, I can't get the sound from my remote speakers via the Airport Express. The remote speakers/Airport Express work fine when I am playing music, just not the videos. Is this just the way it is or is there a way to make that work?

EssentialParadox
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I ended up with this problem and the solution was kind of silly, but hopefully it'll help a couple of you…

What I'd been doing was dragging the videos in… or trying to import them via "add to library" and yet nothing showed up. Ever. So I assumed iTunes wasn't importing the videos.

Now the thing is, they were TV episodes so I'd been looking under "TV Shows". As soon as I clicked on the "Movies" tab they all showed up! I went to "get info" and then "options" and changed them all to the "TV Show" type and they all went into the TV Show section.

iTunes imports all videos as default as a "movie" type. So it'll be listed under the Movies tab. Try there to see if iTunes just put your files in there. If you can't see the Movies tab you'll need to turn it on in the preferences.

Hope that helps a couple of you!

kel101
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Here's what you need to do:

Open the movie in Quicktime, save as a reference movie.

This will generate an extra file that is a reference file to your original movie.

Drop the reference movie onto iTunes, this create a link between the reference and the original movie file.

You can then "get info" on the reference file in iTunes and change the name etc.

This has worked every single time I have tried it with avi, divx and mov.

This also enables the video to be opened in FrontRow too.
I had this problem too this solutions works perfect thanks

hoody
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
ok, I want to put Vlc files on my itunes = I can't open them with quicktime, what do i do?

EssentialParadox
05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
ok, I want to put Vlc files on my itunes = I can't open them with quicktime, what do i do?

You need to convert the files so Quicktime can read them before you'll be able to import them into iTunes.

There are actually a few websites that let you upload video files and select a quicktime format then it'll convert it for you and send you a link to the new file. Can't think of a link off the top of my head but try google.

othello
07-08-2009, 03:49 AM
hi , i have tried to use handbrake and it converts it to mp4 itunes , but still can not import it , via drag and drop or libary folder and sync

please help ?

MacBorg
04-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Hello,

I am looking to import dvds to itunes with discs that are from the 90s. I believe I am having difficulty with iSquint because the Samauri Jack disc is from before dvds came with a digital file that is not fragmented? I tried importing the whole disc and I got an error message saying...
"DVDs and VIDEO_TS folders can't be directly converted. Sorry. (-2700)"

Does anyone have a solution for importing really old discs to itunes? Maybe another program? My long term goal is to get it on my iphone/mobile me.

MacBorg

jaminglenn
04-29-2010, 07:33 PM
If you are on OS X, try downloading Handbrake and VLC. When VLC is installed, Handbrake allows your to rip the DVD and convert to which ever format you wish. It might work and it's free.

felderhauzen
12-14-2010, 09:53 PM
whenever i try to sync a movie to my itouch (2nd gen.) it says that the ipod can't play this because it is not supported. How do i fix this?

yellow
12-15-2010, 08:13 AM
iTunes is pretty particular about movies it moves. Is it a movie you've ripped, or one that you've purchased/rented through iTunes?