PDA

View Full Version : new media player

tlarkin
10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
So, in my constant search for a media player that is more to my liking I stumbled upon this. Its apparently based off the firefox engine (open source)

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

I have it running on my windows machine right now and will toss it on linux OS X probably later this week or something.

So far I like it, takes up about 2% cpu when idle, and takes up

It has web browsing built into it as well. So you can right click audio files and get lyrics from google, or look up the artitst via wikipedia, lyrics

You have to download the ipod extension to get it to work. If someone tries it let me know how it pans out.
For example i right clicked one of my social distortion songs and did a search for them on wikipedia and sure enough it pulled up their wiki page.

Now, only if I could implement my firefox extensions.....all in one gestures, faster fox, tab browsing, this media player may be the one I choose to keep.

You should check it out. It also has support to burn discs and supports portable music devices. However, I do not have an ipod to test it with and I have no burned a CD as of yet.

You have to download an extension to use your ipod though. Let me know if anyone tries it out.

Photek
10-02-2006, 02:47 AM
looks quite promising.....

its a blatent rip off of iTunes.... just in black, but being able to connect to various stores is a good idea.

one to watch.

will see how it handles my iPod later!

tlarkin
10-02-2006, 07:23 AM
the GUI is kind of like itunes however this media player will have multiple amounts of skins (feathers as this one calls it) in the near future making its interface customizeable.

It reminds me of an amalgamation of itunes and winamp.

stfi
10-02-2006, 08:37 AM
flac, ogg and opensource makes this interesting. Thanks for mentioning.

tlarkin
10-02-2006, 09:09 AM
flac, ogg and opensource makes this interesting. Thanks for mentioning.

yeah flac support is a big seller for me

Photek
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
yeah flac support is a big seller for me

what the flac is flac?

tlarkin
10-02-2006, 10:09 AM
what the flac is flac?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

I am downloading it on my linux box as we speak.....

I will load it on OS X last, after I play with it for a bit on linux.

ThreeDee
10-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, StumbleUpon'ed this a couple weeks ago. I think FLAC is a lossless encoder like Apple's lossless, just open source.

tlarkin
10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Free Lossless Audio Codec

fazstp
10-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I was looking for a media player that can burn CDs for a friend running Linux. Have you used this much since you posted this? Would you recommend it?

Speaking of Linux I don't know much about the platform. On the songbird download page there are two Linux versions i686 and x86_64. Can anyone explain the difference?