PDA

View Full Version : Mac cannot detect removable hard drive

new_to_mac
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Could somebody help me out please: I plugged my removable hard drive into my Macbook pro using a USB cable but for some reason, my mac cannot detect the hard drive, why is that?? :confused:

hayne
09-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Did this drive used to work when connected by USB to that Mac?

Is this drive one of those that derives electrical power from the USB connection? If so, the problem might just be that the power available from the USB port is insufficient. (Some drives demand more power than is specified by the USB standard.)

trevor
09-06-2006, 05:11 PM
With the drive connected to your MacBook Pro, what shows up in System Profiler (which is an app in /Applications/Utilities)?

What brand and model of enclosure is used for the external hard drive?

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Trevor

new_to_mac
09-06-2006, 11:56 PM
The problem happened after I attempted to transfer some files from my PC to my laptop using the hard drive.

However, this is not the first time I have done that so I dont know what the problem is! I tried plugging the hard drive back into my PC after the mac couldnt detect it and after posting the thread and now all the files are gone!! :confused:
There is only one file called in that drive called something.qbb.... however if you right click the properties of that drive (backup drive i) it shows that there is 1 gb of stuff in there but i can only see the qbb file.
Where are the files?!??!?! :eek:

I can't answer you trevor cuz i'm not at home right now... im just so upset all the files are gone now!!!!

Ty for helping out!

vickishome
09-07-2006, 12:47 AM
By any chance, do the files have anything to do with QuickBooks? I found references to ".qbb" files in regards to transferring QuickBooks files from Macs to Windows and from Windows to Macs.

http://www.sleeter.com/articles/1144178763

c_norris
09-08-2006, 09:43 PM
when plugged into the mac, did the drive just never mount to your desktop? could you see it in disk utility?

if this is the case, the filesystem of the disk may have been damaged. i would try plugging it back into the pc and running Check Disk (go to My Computer, right-click the drive, properties, tools, Check Now) and check the option for "automatically fix file system errors.

new_to_mac
09-09-2006, 02:14 AM
yes the hard drive never mounted onto my desktop! i think you're right about the HD being damaged.

Thanks so much for the help.