PDA

View Full Version : iMac (Core Duo) with mini-DVI -> Video Adapter woes

kalisphoenix
09-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I used to have an iBook G4 with a mini-VGA to Video adapter. It worked perfectly -- in fact, we watched all of Twin Peaks through my iBook.

Fast forward a couple years to me getting a new iMac (February 2006) with a mini-DVI to Video adapter. Fast forward again another couple months to me actually trying to use the mini-DVI to video adapter. What happened when I tried was the following:

* The display seems to fit on the TV fine, and I can actually see what's happening.

* There are two black "bumps", one on each side of the screen, where it looks like the display has been waved or pushed in. These two bumps move down the screen steadily.

* The two areas of the screen that are horizontal with the bumps are discolored. They are more green than blue (I'm using the default OS X background).

* Every couple of seconds, the display "rolls" like an old-school TV with a poorly-adjusted V-Hold.

* As I've already said, I don't think the TV is the problem. It works just fine with the DVD player, the VCR, the cable, and the old adapter with the iBook G4. I guess it could be that the iBook's mini-VGA adapter required less in the term of specifications than the mini-DVI.... but I don't know.

* I just bought another adapter the other day. Both have the same problem. So I don't think it's the adapter.

* I've switched cords out a lot, so I don't think it's them.

* My iMac's mini-DVI -> VGA adapter works excellently.

So, uh, wtf? Any ideas?