PDA

View Full Version : Help My Cd Is Stuck

bren
08-30-2006, 12:25 AM
I have a new G5 macbook and I tried to load the software that came with it on my ibook G4...
I thought it would be ok because I was already running Tiger.

Now I can't the CD that came with my G5 out of my G4... I get the grey screen with... PANIC: WE ARE HANGING HERE...

hayne
08-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Usually holding down the mouse (or trackpad) button while you restart a Mac will eject any CDs or DVDs.

solipsism
08-30-2006, 09:25 AM
If that doesn't work you can use a driver's license or credit card to reset the disc. I've also heard that if you let it sit, trying to boot up, it will eventually (within an hour) knock the disc out on it's own.

tlarkin
08-30-2006, 09:28 AM
holding down the mouse button is good, or using the diskutil command is a good way, or using the opt + eject key is good if you have multiple optical drives. There is also a manual eject button you can trigger with a safety pin or a paper clip.

when you say load the software do you mean load the OS? It would kernel panic because the version of that OS does not have the proper system extensions and drivers for the newer hardware

ThreeDee
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
An iBook is PPC. A MacBook is Intel. Intel OS in PPC PC is not good. The CD only has files for the MacBook, which the iBook doesn't understand. It does have the same operating system, but is missing a few vital parts.

This reminded me of a certain British and American English conversation about Vacations and Holidays... I didn't understand when the person said "I'm on holiday for a week", as there wasn't a holiday (that I knew of) in July that lasted a whole week.