PDA

View Full Version : copying tiger 10.4 via firewire?

hummmm
08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
ok yesterday i posted in regards to my i book g3 laptop booting problems.....
the solution to this seems to be to re-install my operating system.
i do not have the panther (10.3.9) start-up disc, but thanks to my ever gracious boss i have a tiger disk.... my new problem is that it is a dvd and my poor laptop has only a cd reader.... i found a potential solution on this web page http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0710.html where it suggests running the disk in a dvd enabled mac and transferring it over to my i book via firewire..... this does seem to be the measure i must take to solve my dilemma..... however, i am apprehensive about doing this. my friend who has gone to collage for computers expressed concern when i mentioned this plan.... his concern had something to do with the possibility of a driver "crapping out on me" but also admits that he knows little about macs or osx...... i am open to any helpful feedback that may assist me in the rescue of my beloved g3 laptop..... :)

voldenuit
08-24-2006, 05:18 PM
There is little danger of the machine "crapping out on you" if the hardware qualifies (and your friend should be worried about the quality of the education he's receiving at his "computer college"), but the proper way of doing the upgrade would be to buy a retail version of Tiger. The restore disk your boss gave you will quite probably not work unless it came from a very similar Mac.

Unfortunately, Apples DVD-to-CD-exchange program has ended, you'd still have to use the targetmode trick to install, but with the warm fuzzy feeling of having done the right thing even though Apple doesn't try to coerce their customers with serial numbers, online "activation" and other crap of that kind.

hummmm
08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
thanks for the feedback, and what i have is a retail copy of tiger.....
i feel that many things even most can be acquired from the net....
even so im not one to try and install "questionable" software on my baby.
i love my laptop...:p

fat elvis
08-24-2006, 05:37 PM
With your valid copy of the DVD, purchased for your laptop, you can install it via FireWire.

Boot your laptop holding down the T key. This will boot it into Target Disc Mode. Once you see the blue screen with the yellow FireWire icon it's basically acting like an external hard drive. Plug it into your gracious boss' Mac (with a Super or Combo drive) and then pop the install DVD into his/her system.

During the installation process just be sure to choose the hard drive of the laptop. If you're worried about messing with the other hard drive you can rename it before plugging your drive in.

JDV
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
One of our knowlegeable forum particpants discovered that they had just moved the link. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what to search for, but I found the PDF for ordering at this site: http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

So, I think it is still possible to get it on CD.

hummmm
08-24-2006, 06:21 PM
slightly unrelated.... i know that i can install osx tiger via firewire from another machine w a dvd drive..... but this problem has inspired the in me the question ;is there some possibility that one using a g3 laptop like mine (ie; Machine Model: iBook
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (1.12)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 600 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.3.6f3)
to remove the cd reader and install a dvdr or even cd burner in its place?
the fact that i cannot even burn a cd vexes me!......
one day the holy chalice that is the g5 will be mine!

trevor
08-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, you can certainly install a better optical drive in your iBook if you have a basic understanding of working inside computers, label all the tiny little screws carefully, and follow directions. Search for an iBook take apart guide and do it!

Trevor

voldenuit
08-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Be very sure to get a tray-loading model, most laptop drives are slot-in now and won't fit properly.

If you can't do the job yourself and portablity doesn't matter, an external Firewire DVD-burner will be faster and probably cheaper.