PDA

View Full Version : nvidia 6800 ultra question

stevedts
08-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi everyone

I've got a simple question here for some techie out there :)

Im no techie myself when it comes down to hardware, so here goes: within my Power Mac G5 is an NVidia 6800 Ultra. It's currently got my DVI-D monitor connected upto it. But i'm about to buy a widescreen 19" monitor soon. (again DVI-D, so it'll be plugged into the socket on the gfx card that i'm *currently* using on this older monitor). Ok...

This is my question, there's also another port on the gfx card. Can i use this and run both monitors off the one card - serparate displays. (or will the displays just be same, mirrored?)

I'm hoping that i'll be connecting the new widescreen monitor to the current DVI-D port, and then the older monitor to the other port (is it DVI also, looks different).

Now, please don't say RTFM ;) As i've looked everywhere and cannot find it! Typical..

I'd appreciate any replies written in plain english please. :)
Thank you all
Steve.

DeltaMac
08-10-2006, 06:44 AM
The 2 video connectors on your Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra can drive whatever displays you wish. It will support 2 30-inch DVI displays at the same time. The configuration can be whatever you want. If you want the two displays mirrored, then set that in the Monitors pref pane. If you want the usual extended desktop, then set that up in that same Monitors pref pane.

The connectors on the video card should be identical. If your 2 displays have DVI connectors (same overall shape) that have different pin configurations (some pins could be 'missing'), they should still plug in OK.

stevedts
08-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi DeltaMac
That's excellent to hear mate and i'll double-check the connection on the back of the card over the weekend (i need to power it off while the mac is moved - i don't want to unplug the monitor cable while it's switch on)

Though i'm sure the two sockets looked different the last time i checked, hmm gotta check this one out!

Thank you for the reply, appreciated :)

Steve.

tlarkin
08-10-2006, 08:54 AM
is it the 6800 ultra DDL?

stevedts
08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
hmm not sure, I bought this from a store the moment the retail cards where released a couple of years back (iirc). I had problems with the standard ATI 9600 and its BSOD! so was eager to replace the card.

I was told there where two models, the Ultra (better) and the GT (slower). Mine's the ultra.. I'll double check when i get home today, i hope this will be inside SysProfiler.

Thanks, steve.