PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Mount

macaframa
08-06-2006, 04:47 PM
I have been trying unsuccessfully to transfer files from my linux box to my powermac g4 box.
I have installed ext2fs to give me access to the ext3 file system, but I am having trouble mounting the disk in terminal.
I get the following error and don't know what it means:

"mount: realpath /mnt: No such file or directory"

what does that mean?

the command i typed was sudo mount -t ext3 -w /dev/disk2s1 /mnt/ubuntu

hayne
08-06-2006, 05:00 PM
That error message would seem to be saying that there is no folder
"/mnt"

I assume you are running this command on your Mac - is that right?
Is the drive physically attached to your Mac?

It would seem easier to just hook up the two machines over Ethernet and then use SMB to mount the Linux machine's drive on the Mac.
That would be as simple as turning on SMB on the Linux machine and then using "Connect to Server" from the Finder's "Go" menu on the Mac.

voldenuit
08-06-2006, 05:06 PM
... but in case you want to try anyway, I'd suggest to use

mkdir /Volumes/ubuntu
sudo mount -t ext3 -w /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/ubuntu

/Volumes is the standard mountpoint used by OS X, so you won't clutter your /.

macaframa
08-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I can't do it over the network.
The ubuntu box was never able to get wireless working and I only have wireless network.
I took the hdd out of the ubuntu box, it is attached to pci controller card in the powermac. The filesystem is ext3, but the ext2fs allows for read access in Tiger.

I'll try the mkdir, I didn't know about that. I was just going off of what was posted on the ext2fs forums.

hayne
08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I can't do it over the network.
The ubuntu box was never able to get wireless working and I only have wireless network.
Umm, you don't have an Ethernet card on your Ubuntu box?
You could just connect the two with an Ethernet cable - no router required.

macaframa
08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
will that work without a crossover cable? i do have about three nics laying around somewhere.

hayne
08-06-2006, 06:30 PM
If your Mac is anywhere recent, then it will have an auto-sensing Ethernet port and so won't need a crossover cable.
See this Apple doc:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

macaframa
08-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Excellent, I think mine meets the cutoff.
It is a Powermac G4 733 digital audio.
I lucked out a couple months back and picked it up for $140 usd on craigslist w/ 1GB, 60GB, superdrive. I figured it would be a lot easier to manage as a music/file server than my old linux box. I will try this out.

macaframa
08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
So far the only computer I get in the network is the Mac. Filesharing and SMB is on for the folder in ubuntu. Hmm, further investigation is needed.

macaframa
08-06-2006, 09:00 PM
what about ip address and such? i have never hooked computers up directly without a switch/router. i can't get them to see each other no matter what. do i need to give them static ips? i turned on filesharing and samba on the ubuntu box. i have file sharing turned on for the mac. i even tried sharedpoints and accessing the mac from the ubuntu. i am at a loss at this point.

hayne
08-06-2006, 10:05 PM
The computers will usually get self-assigned IP addresses in the 169. range.
Just connect them and then see what IP addresses they get.

Make sure that your problems aren't due to a firewall on one side or the other.

macaframa
08-07-2006, 12:33 AM
i tested it by hooking up the powermac to the ethernet port on my powerbook and they connected fine. so it appears the problem is with ubuntu linux. precisely why i picked up the powermac, much easier to deal with than linux. it just works. damn it, still doesn't get me my files. hopefully, i can figure it out tomorrow.

macaframa
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
any other ideas?

xp2mac
09-05-2006, 11:17 AM
If your problem is in trying to connect to the Linux box from the Mac, you could try this solution offered by SUNSOUL in another hint:

open TextEdit.app
type in:
smb://DOMAIN;USERNAME:PASSWORD@linux_IP_address/sharepoint_name

(substitute all italics with actual names)

Then, highlight that line of text, click on highlighted text, hold for a sec, then drag on desktop (this should create kind of a shortcut to the windows box)
Double click the newly created document.

ElectricSheep
09-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Exporting a directory that you want to access as an NFS share might give you better performace, I've found NFS has less overhead than SMB when using MacOS X as a client.

If your ubuntu installation already has the NFS-Kernel-server module installed, then all you need to do is modify /etc/exports on the Ubuntu machine, start the NFS server with sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start, then mount the export on the mac.

For example, here's a line in a FreeBSD server's /etc/exports file that I use:

/usr/home/arquser -network 192.168.1.0 -mask 255.255.255.0

/usr/home/arquser is the complete path to the directory that I wish to share. -network 192.168.1.0[b] specifies the Network Address that I want to give access to this share. [b]-mask 255.255.255.0 is the Network Mask corrosponding to the network address I specified. In this case, /usr/home/arquser will be available to all IP addresses between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254. 192.168.1.0 is a reserved address for denoting the Network, and 192.168.1.255 is the broadcast address (it references all nodes on the network).

Then, on my MacOS X client, I just open a terminal and type the following:

mkdir /Network/Servers/arquser
mount 192.168.1.22:/usr/home/arquser /Network/Servers/arquser