PDA

View Full Version : Why does it take 3 minutes for a pdf to print from my laptop?

mackoolaid
07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I share an hp laserjet 1220 with my assistant (pc). For some reason, it takes as long as 3 minutes for a pdf to print from my ibook (1.42 ghz, 1 gb of ram). The pdfs print instantly from the pc. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

tlarkin
07-17-2006, 11:32 AM
you printing over a network to a shared printer on a PC? Is it connected via parallel?

mackoolaid
07-17-2006, 11:38 AM
The mac is connected through a usb cable. The pc is connected through a parallel cable. Those are the only connections--I'm never sure about what it means to be on "a network."

tlarkin
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
are you sharing it over a network, or are you physically changing out cables to print from this machine?

How exactly is it set up is what I am asking.

mackoolaid
07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks. The printer has two ports--my mac is on one port with the usb, the pc is on the other with a conventional serial port.

tlarkin
07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
hmm, well I would say its probably software that is at fault either driver or the print subsystem itself.

I assume you are running tiger?

If you open up the Printer setup utility under /Applications/Utilities under one of the menus from up top there is a reset printer system option. this will reset your whole print system and erase all drivers. Reinstall the driver and the printer and see what happens.

mackoolaid
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Followed your advice--nothing changed.

hayne
07-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Just in case, have you tried disconnecting the PC from the printer before trying to print from the Mac?

tlarkin
07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
have you downloaded an updated driver, or just using the native driver in OS X (if there is a native driver - I didn't bother looking)?

trevor
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Are you quite positive that this printer supports having more than one connection into it at the same time? I suspect that if you turn off the printer, unplug the parallel interface, and then turn it back on again, you will find that printing from your Mac then happens at normal speed.

Trevor

JDV
07-17-2006, 02:59 PM
This is, it seems, an older HP all-in-one device and has been discontinued. There ARE OS X drivers, but the latest is for 10.2.8. I assume you are using a later version of OS X. It's just possible that the old driver, while not incompatible, is not very efficient under Tiger.

Joe VanZandt

tlarkin
07-17-2006, 02:59 PM
I was thinking about that also, but if it is actually working then it does support it. However, it may not officially support it.

mackoolaid
07-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Discovery--it was a problem with adobe, not the pdf. They print fine from preview so preview it will be from now on. Thanks for your help.

tlarkin
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Discovery--it was a problem with adobe, not the pdf. They print fine from preview so preview it will be from now on. Thanks for your help.

I just ran into similiar problems with adobe reader, and just reinstalled the newest version to print to our ricoh network printers at work, and it fixed the issue. However, this was on a PC running windows, but the problem was the same, it was the application.