PDA

View Full Version : Oh No I Spilt Pop On My Keyboard (laptop)

dwig365
07-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, i just spilt pop on my laptop while standing up, and it soked the MacBookPRO. However, the keyboard looked like it made it stay on top :O.
Like it didn't soke in at all, of course, i tipped it over, it's been about 20minutes now and no effects of the spill yet, nothing's not working, everythings operational, i was typing everything and it was all working.

No effects at all, but i'm scared something will happen, i'm hoping that the extreme HEAT that the macbookpro gives off heats up the rest that i missed. and then it "disapears :P" i think i did the best i could, everythings working. What should i do, will it continue to do this? no keys are sticking at all, nothings not working as i said, what should i do? is it fine?

JDV
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
If you didn't spill much, you may have no problems at all. The problem with soda is that it tends to get gummy as it dries, so the stickiness could still show up--but it may not prove to be a problem at all.

I don't think it's real easy to clean laptop keyboards, so I hope you don't have to do it. Good luck!

Joe VanZandt

dwig365
07-11-2006, 03:47 PM
so your saying if the keyboard starts to get sticky then i should open it and clean it out????

or is it done for?.

Thanks for your help

JDV
07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I honestly don't know how easy it is to clean the keyboard of a MacBook Pro, not yet owning one. Most laptop keyboards are a little tricky to get at...if it becomes a problem, I'd take it to an Apple shop for cleaning. But it is highly doubtful that it killed your machine. It isn't like you'd be the first person to spill coffee, wine, tea, pop, maple syrup, or god knows what on their keyboards; I'm certain they can be cleaned if you have the right tools to get at it. Some advise keeping drinks away from your work area, but that isn't really practical advice, I think. But being careful about it is certainly a good idea!

Joe VanZandt

dwig365
07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, thanks for your help, you don't know how much i appreciate it, what i'm going to do, is keep typing for a long time so it won't lock/stick up, because i know it will get sticky if theres still some left in it, but i took a look between the keys and it looks like there a board underneath the keys, and theres a bit of try pop on the board, but it doesn't seem to be sticky, and it looks like it's dry now

so i think i'm safe right now

ThreeDee
07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Although it still works, i'd recommend shutting it off and taking out the battery and let it sit for a few hours.

dwig365
07-11-2006, 06:43 PM
All keys work however, the space, Delete and enter button and shift button are all sticking a bit, they still work obviously how ever it is sticking and it kind of bugs me, what can i do about it?

voldenuit
07-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Turn it off, let it dry, then check how annoying it really is after some more typing for a couple of days.
If you conclude something needs to be done, we'll examine your options.

Las_Vegas
07-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Apparently, it wasn't diet soda… :)

You're going to have to clean off the sugar deposits in your keys. This means removing the keys (Oh, so carefully!) and cleaning every place that the plastic has to move in and out with a cotton swab and Windex. Be careful not to spill the Windex, or you'll be back to square one!

dwig365
07-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Ooo, how do i remove the keys without breaking the keys right off?

dwig365
07-11-2006, 07:53 PM
omg, i just broke a peice of plastic off the space bar and i can't get it back on, but it doesn't seem like it made a difference thank god, i'm scared to do it to any of the other keys, is there another option?

Las_Vegas
07-11-2006, 08:42 PM
The Spacebar is the most difficult one to remove and reattach. Be extremely patient and don't force anything. Save that piece! Pick up a bottle of Acetone Model Cement from a local Hobby store. It comes with a tiny brush. You can repair the keycap with that and a pair of tweezers.

Dr. Zoidberg
07-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow. That really, really sucks. Sorry to hear that. But to avoid any further damage, you might want to have a look at this site--they offer free step-by-step instructions on taking apart macintosh portables. Great directions, and I am sure that you will be able to get into the keyboard without any further damage.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

I can't really recommend any strong, abrasive cleansers or solvents, as those will strip the paint and weaken the plastic, so maybe a little mild soap and a damp cloth would be good? Might want to look into some sort of electronics cleaner from a local computer store, too.

The rule of thumb appears to be that the more expensive the computer, the more it attracts drinks/ashes/crumbs/small foreign objects, etc.. Save yourself the heartache and buy a sippy cup! (Also consider switching to Diet, no sugar=no sticky keyboard!)

Good luck!

Las_Vegas
07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
The acetone adhesive is just that; Pure acetone. It would only be used on the underside of the key where the plastic part is broken. It doesn't actually act as an adhesive, but a solvent that would cause the break to fuse. Hence the tiny brush. Use just enough to wet the break surface. When the two pieces make contact the piece is permanently fused. This takes a steady hand to make sure they're lined up at the time of contact. Also, work on the key away from the rest of the computer and on a clean, safe surface (multiple layers of newspaper!).

If you're not comfortable with doing this; Don't! Instead, purchase a replacement spacebar from ifixit.com. They can't be too expensive.

tlarkin
07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I used to work for an AASP and can't tell you how many times i have seen spills on laptop keyboards, mostly pop or beer, but i once saw cough syrup - that was gross

in the end it is better to just replace the keyboard out right, they range from 50 to 80 dollars usually, a small price to pay but don't ever let apple know you have spilled liquid on your machine they will mark it as abuse and you will have voided your warranty.

Replacing the keyboard is your best bet, that way no one (esp apple) will ever know you had a liquid spill on it.

Trust me there are ALWAYS traces of liquid spills, and some people are like CSI and stuff and will cry voided warranty, because that is just how some people are.

dwig365
07-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Firstly i'm going to read that guide, but you said i can replace the keybard in the macbok? How would i go about doing this?

I live in ontario canada, and i live in Barrie, ourlocal apple store is in Toronto, is this where i'd have to get it fixed? Because getting a whole new keyboard might just be the best thing.

tlarkin
07-12-2006, 08:00 AM
any authroized providers can sell you a keyboard direct, and installing a keyboard should not be too hard.

you can also check out some online stores as well

dwig365
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, whoever recommended that i wash out the keys with WinDex, it worked the first time, but then about 15-30 minutes later it started sticking again , i just did it again, but it seems to be working for about 10 minutes now. Thanks guys, i guess i'll just keep doing it until theres no sticking left? Well anyways, it's working fine now, thanks for your help, i love this bored.

dwig365
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Wow. That really, really sucks. Sorry to hear that. But to avoid any further damage, you might want to have a look at this site--they offer free step-by-step instructions on taking apart macintosh portables. Great directions, and I am sure that you will be able to get into the keyboard without any further damage.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

I can't really recommend any strong, abrasive cleansers or solvents, as those will strip the paint and weaken the plastic, so maybe a little mild soap and a damp cloth would be good? Might want to look into some sort of electronics cleaner from a local computer store, too.

The rule of thumb appears to be that the more expensive the computer, the more it attracts drinks/ashes/crumbs/small foreign objects, etc.. Save yourself the heartache and buy a sippy cup! (Also consider switching to Diet, no sugar=no sticky keyboard!)

Good luck!

I prefer diet coke, its just that in the house we only had rootbeer, and i had to drink something :P:) , I'm just not going to drink around the laptop =]

dwig365
07-12-2006, 05:54 PM
OMG HELP ME, I LOST MY BACKSPACE/DELETE BUTTON I THINK FROM WASHING IT WITH WinDex, How can i fix this by my self? Please help me.

Las_Vegas
07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Did you use a cotton swab? If you sprayed windex into your keyboard, go to http://www.pbfixit.com/ or http://www.pbparts.com/ and buy a replacement keyboard. In the future, keep beverages away from the computer.

dwig365
07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Yes, i used a cotton swab (Q TIP) but it seems all of a sudden, my delete button is operational once again :S. it works fine now.

tlarkin
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I would still recomend just replacing the keyboard, its probably the best option imo.

dwig365
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Why replace it? Just a few more keys to be cleaned with windex, and my keyboard is back at 100% =] I already cleaned about 15 keys that now work 100%. I don't see why i should spend 100$ on a new keyboard when WinDex is working fine =]

But thanks for your help.

tlarkin
07-13-2006, 10:13 AM
for the sole reason i mentioned earlier, if you ever have to service that laptop there will be evidence of a liquid spill on your system, which will void any and all warranty including apple care.

dwig365
07-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I called apple and they said that this will no void my warrenty as it's a new computer, and they said the warrenty covers the accident, they said just make sure that you don't do it again.

voldenuit
07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Keep us posted and make sure to buy that guy a beer (he hopefully won't spill over his keyboard in an ironic twist).

It sharply contrasts with all the arrogant bastards who declare anything even remotely attributable to "abuse" to be out of warranty (and probably comply with official Apple policy in so doing).

tlarkin
07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
I called apple and they said that this will no void my warrenty as it's a new computer, and they said the warrenty covers the accident, they said just make sure that you don't do it again.

I don't know who you talked to at apple, but being certified and doing warranty repairs myself personally, I know for a fact that you are suppose to flag the abuse button on any claim with liquid damage. the warranty does not cover it, I promise.

if you dropped your laptop and cracked the screen that is also considered abuse, anything you do to it that is not normal wear and tear is abuse, also breaking plastic pieces (consumables) is also not covered. I have been doing warranty work on apples since 1999, so I am not sure who you spoke with but they are wrong.

now it does depends on who repairs it, for one if apple does they will flag it as abuse, but if its an AASP it depends on the person who does it because apple never sees it. Of course apple gets more money if its flagged as abuse. Also, look at apples flat tier repair system for laptops, in the fine print it says that cases of abuse do not fall under the flat rate teir and will be subject to an estimate.

there have been times when I had clients who were cool, so i cleaned up the evidence of the liquid damage and just fixed it. other times i had clients that I did not like because of how they acted and they got charged. Now that I work for a self maintainer, i do everything in my power to hide any sign of abuse.

However, like i mentioned before, there are some people who are like CSI and will pull out black lights and use other methods to determine if it has liquid damage. I am not kidding, we had tons of problems with one of our warranty providers in the past because they would call any sign of moisture liquid damage, in the end we dropped them as warranty contract provider, and went with someone else.

JDV
07-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Given that there is obviously some discretion on the part of the repair personnel, I suppose the question remains open; and I hope that this user doesn't ever have to find out what his own tech person will decide. But this approach seems to me to be very abusive itself. Certainly, if the problem which is being repaired appears to be CAUSED by abuse, that is one thing, but I've had users who smoke, for example, and have managed to have a cigarette ash melt a key (more of a cosmetic issue than a functional one). Now, if the the user wanted to have his keyboard replaced because that key was melted, I think it would be reasonable to refuse to cover it. But if their hard drive or CPU were to fail and the tech refused to cover the replacement because of a melted key, that would be tantamount to fraud, I think. It would seem to me that the failed component should have to be to some degree causally connected to the abuse in order to void a warranty repair. I find it reprehensible to think that service personnel spend time LOOKING for reasons not to honor their warranty. After all, it shouldn't just be Apple's GUI that is user-friendly. This will not pay dividends in the long term, I wouldn't think.

Joe VanZandt

tlarkin
07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
this all depends, because technically any sign of a liquid spill voids warranty, because liquid can seep through any crack or crevice of a machine and cause damage to all componets, and almost always in the case of liquid damage there will be some sort of residue under the keyboard, on the circuit board and all the way down into the bottom casing, because it will leave a moisture mark. Even if the smallest gets down in there and it voids warranty. It can be cleaned up and not everytime the manufacturer actually sees the unit.

but i digress there are shades of grey. if the liquid stops at the keyboard completely then the keyboard is not covered under warranty but the rest is, however this is almost never the case because of the effects and evidence it leaves in other parts of the machine.

this is not an apple exclusive thing, all companies that make computers follow the same procedures pretty much. this is not apple's fault it is the users fault and hence they don't cover it.

I just had a hell of a time with tmobile and my cell phone because they say it has liquid damage, but I know for a fact that it doesn't, it was just moisture from humidity or whatever. Even after having tmobile admit to me over the phone it was more than likely moisture they still would not honor the warranty. This happens all the time with all sorts of electronics.

dwig365
11-04-2006, 08:09 PM
hey, although my computer was almost fixed, i brought it into apple to repair it, they verified that it does not void my warrenty. they fixed it for me, thanks for all your help.

however, it seems that my keys no longer stick :) and my macbook pro is as good as new! :)

Thanks for all your help again. Call applecare and they told me again it does not void warrenty.

tlarkin
11-04-2006, 08:21 PM
hey, although my computer was almost fixed, i brought it into apple to repair it, they verified that it does not void my warrenty. they fixed it for me, thanks for all your help.

however, it seems that my keys no longer stick :) and my macbook pro is as good as new! :)

Thanks for all your help again. Call applecare and they told me again it does not void warrenty.

Thats crazy! I don't know how many times other Apple employees rejected my claims on liquid spills. Maybe I should just contact Apple Care from now on and not make the warranty claim myself hahaha.

Glad to hear ya got it fixed.

jbrown448
07-17-2007, 10:01 PM
hi
i spilt wine on the left side of my keyboard. i dried it out and set it in the sun to dry out even more, but now the tab, caps lock and shift keys don't work on the left hand side. Apple wants $600-$1200 to repair, any other suggestions that might help make those keys work again?

any help would be greatly appreciated !!

jb

c_norris
07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
OMG HELP ME, I LOST MY BACKSPACE/DELETE BUTTON I THINK FROM WASHING IT WITH WinDex, How can i fix this by my self? Please help me.

hmm... i'm not suggesting anything, but just an observation:
where i live, no matter what apple store i go to, there are always a few computers with missing keys. its like people steal them or something.

jbrown448
07-18-2007, 08:46 PM
thank you very much for your reply.....do you think it's just that the actual key's are broken, or something more severe under the keys that is causing them not to work??? Also noticed you live in LA, i am here too, do you recommend any non apple store places that do a good job fixing problems like these for a little less money??

thank u

tlarkin
07-19-2007, 08:40 AM
IMHO, a keyboard is almost user replaceable and it would be cheaper if you just had a repair shop order you the part directly. Keyboards are not super hard to replace depending on the exact model of mac laptop.

J Christopher
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Even after having tmobile admit to me over the phone it was more than likely moisture they still would not honor the warranty.

Did you record the call for quality assurance purposes?

c_norris
07-19-2007, 06:10 PM
thank you very much for your reply.....do you think it's just that the actual key's are broken, or something more severe under the keys that is causing them not to work??? Also noticed you live in LA, i am here too, do you recommend any non apple store places that do a good job fixing problems like these for a little less money??
thank u

the other poster said something like they broke the spacebar or something, but in your case, no - replacing the key caps wouldn't help you. as tlarkin suggested, replacing the keyboard would be best and it looks easy to do yourself.

on takeitapart.net (http://www.takeitapart.net/archives/macbook-pro/) somebody posted step-by-step instructions on removing the keyboard from the computer and then taking the actual keyboard apart to clean it. to get started, you will need a TORX screwdriver which you can get at Fry's. i've never brought a mac in for repair anyplace - i always do repairs my self and order cheap parts off ebay. so i can't suggest a repair shop but there are hundreds in our area.

if you do get a keyboard off ebay (there are several up for auction right now) make sure you verify the exact part number.

http://www.takeitapart.net/archives/macbook-pro/

good luck!