PDA

View Full Version : Using DynDNS to reach a Mac behind a router

TobyRush
06-27-2006, 10:16 PM
This may be described elsewhere on the forums somewhere, but I couldn't find it... I figured out the solution and thought I'd post it in case someone else has the same problem as I did.

I have three macs and a tivo on my home network, and use an Airport Extreme as a router. The Airport is connected to my cable modem, which uses DHCP to get an IP address. The IP address is assigned to the Airport, and the computers and tivo all have 10.0.1.x addresses.

I wanted to be able to use DynDNS to reach my main computer (using AppleShare IP, Apple Remote Desktop, etc.). I set up Port Forwarding on the Airport Extreme to forward the pertinent ports to my main machine, but the DynDNS updater would send the 10.0.1.x address to the DynDNS server, making the DynDNS service pretty much useless.

The trick was a setting in the dashboard widget: there is a popup menu there to indicate which address to send to the server: I set it to "External", and that sends the router's address, rather than the computer's address, to the server.

I hope this is useful to someone!

tlarkin
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
i don't use apple networking hardware, but your router should have a setting where you can point your dns to dyndns and track it that way.

I know I have a server at home at one time running win2k3 server and I would remote into using dyndns tracking software that would email me everytime the ip changed. i configured it in my router.

i would see if you can't set this up in your airport extreme