PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Active Applications from the Dock

Steve theHerring
06-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Is there a way to hide active applications from the dock? Additionally, can I remove them from the "apple tab" pop-up thing?

What I mean to say is, I have an application that I always have running passively and I don't need it to clog up my dock or app switcher thing. So is there a way to remove it while having it still running?

Thanks

Las_Vegas
06-26-2006, 09:06 PM
This can be done with some programs, but the process removes it's menubar as well. If it's a program that can run without any supervision, follow this proceedure.

1. Right-click (control-click) the application and select "Show Package Contents"

2. Open the Contents folder.

3. Open the file info.plist with TextEdit.

4. You will see a collection of <key> and <string> lines between <dict> and </dict>. Add the following at the end of the list: <key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

5. Save the file. If the program's code doesn't override the setting, this will hide the program.

Steve theHerring
06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the reply.
It doesn't seem to do anything though.

hayne
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
It doesn't seem to do anything though.

These things are cached, so you will need to logout and in again.
Or (I think this will do it) change the date on the ".app" bundle using the 'touch' command.

Steve theHerring
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
What is the .app and how do I "touch" it?

Thanks

hayne
06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
What is the .app and how do I "touch" it?
Take Mail.app as an example. Here is the command that you would run (in a Terminal window):

touch /Applications/Mail.app

If you aren't familiar with Terminal, read at least the first section of this Unix FAQ (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=40648)

Steve theHerring
06-26-2006, 10:17 PM
That did it.
Thanks for the help.

cocoanewbie
06-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Wow, this is a great tip! Very cool.