PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3 network utility?

-theknoll
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Unlike a typical game of warcraft 3, custom games are created and hosted by a single player. I frequently play custom games and host them as well, but am restricted from using windows bound programs that allow you to ping each individual player. By pinging the players you can guage how much the player will 'lag' during the game and you can boot them before it begins.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program for osx that would allow me to do this. There are many windows versions, but I cannot find a mac alternative. If there isn't a specific program would there be any way to do this through terminal or any other program?

Thanks,

nolan

hayne
06-25-2006, 04:08 PM
You can of course use 'ping' in the Terminal to check on network connectivity to a specified hostname or IP address.
e.g.:
ping www.apple.com

Or you can use the Network Utility (under /Applications/Utilities) to do a ping.

bored28
06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
It depends what version of OSX you have. I will assume you have 10.4.6, and thus, you can use NetStat which is located in the utilities folder. Note, that pinging is not a good way to determine a players connectivity status because many users simply block ICMP messages, which include pings, traceroutes, and port scans. If you host a game, the only good way to tell if the connections are fair enough for gameplay is through a realtime bandwidth capture/meter utility.