PDA

View Full Version : Spell Check Inconvenience

ruben
06-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi!
I've come to love the built-in spell checker, but even though I first liked the simplicity, I've come to the point, where I get really annoyed by the process of changing languages, so annoyed, that I don't use it that much anymore actually.

My problems include but are not limited too:
Chatting with foreign friends at the same time. Swedish, German, American? Well, I can check one language and get everything red in two chat windows, I can choose Multilingual and make the check worthless (Swedish and German are at times similar and my biggest error-source at the moment is confusion between the two.). Same problem with mail, web-sites (why can't they just take the language meta-data), etc.
This occurs because the previous problem isn't solved, so it annoys me even more: When I open the Spell Check mini-window, I have to use my mouse (or there is some hidden shortcut to close these floating windows..).
It would be much more logical in my eyes, if I could just close it with Cmd-Shift-Point (the shortcut I use to open it). I would even like to be able to scroll the languages (just so that the change gets more fluid and I don't have to use the mouse. Gosh, I hate these small floating windows).
Has to be manually started in text areas and not automatically there in all applications. Plain stupid, what else except language to you write in text areas?
No grammar check. I realise this can be annoying because netspeak uses quite uncommon to no grammar, but at least wrong articles ( la: le fille/der Mdchen/ett flicka/el nia.. you get the point) and so on could be marked.
not fluid. It's a spell check, I don't want to use my mouse to correct my typos.

So, what do you say, are there any third party plug-ins that help me with some of these problems or can I do something myself or did I just give someone an idea for way to make big $$?

PS.: The list thing in the forum doesn't work in Safari.. annoying.

voldenuit
06-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Perhaps people like you and me, writing in several languages, are not perceived as a significant portion of the clients...

Another great and largely doable feature would be a language-autodetection.

biovizier
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
When I open the Spell Check mini-window, I have to use my mouse (or there is some hidden shortcut to close these floating windows..).
It would be much more logical in my eyes, if I could just close it with Cmd-Shift-Point (the shortcut I use to open it). I would even like to be able to scroll the languages (just so that the change gets more fluid and I don't have to use the mouse.

I agree that using the same key combo that is used to open the spell checker to close it would make sense. In the meantime, there is a built in keyboard shortcut that will "Move focus to the floating window" (^F6 by default but can be changed), after which a regular ⌘W will close the window.

Also, once the focus is on the spell checker, then a custom keyboard combination (defined in "System Preferences" > "Keyboard & Mouse" > Keyboard Shortcuts") assigned to a given language in the popup menu will work directly. Otherwise, if "full keyboard access" for "all controls" is enabled, it should at least be possible to tab between fields and select a language by typing the first few letters of the language, or using the arrow keys.