PDA

View Full Version : How to configure a network without using DHCP server

pravonline
05-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Dear All,

I would like to know how to configure a network without using DHCP server, Can i use Zeroconfig, If yes will it work under all the OS ( windows, MAC and Linux )?, Also does windows have any built in function for zeroconfig? else do we require a separate software for zeroconfig? and what should be the ip range? or is there any other model available to configure a network witout using DHCP server? Please throw some light on those, All replies would be appreciated, Thanks,
Antony

voldenuit
05-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I would like to know how to configure a network without using DHCP server, Can i use Zeroconfig, If yes will it work under all the OS ( windows, MAC and Linux )?
You probably could, but you wouldn't want to for a network with more than a couple of machines. DHCP is simple, robust and well understood.

Bonjour/Zeroconf is great if you set up a quick WLAN in a hotel lobby with a couple of guys.

Anything more is better served by a well thought out network architecture.

solipsism
05-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Listen to Voldenuit. If you don't know to doo it then you probably shouldn't.

Bu tif you insist on learning the fundamentals of IP networking you may want to read this (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/l/aa043000b.htm).

acme.mail.order
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Sure you dont mean DNS? DHCP is built into every $50 router to assign ip addresses.

If you simply need name/ip resolution, your network has static addresses, and the number of machines is reasonable, the /etc/hosts file is much simpler than running DNS

ph0enix
05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Dear All,

I would like to know how to configure a network without using DHCP server, Can i use Zeroconfig, If yes will it work under all the OS ( windows, MAC and Linux )?, Also does windows have any built in function for zeroconfig? else do we require a separate software for zeroconfig? and what should be the ip range? or is there any other model available to configure a network witout using DHCP server? Please throw some light on those, All replies would be appreciated, Thanks,
Antony

Sure, that's not a problem. How much do you know about TCP/IP and subnetting? If not much, then you can use the following IP address scheme:

Windows: 172.16.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Mac: 172.16.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Linux: 172.16.0.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

It doesn't really matter which address you assign to which machine - the 255.255.255.0 (24 bit/Class C) subnet mask basically allows you to have up to 254 hosts on the 172.16.0. subnet - those 3 octets don't change - just the number at the end does (has to be between 1 and 254).
The default route/gateway setting should be set to your internet gateway/router. Hope this helps.