PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G4 450Mhz LB/CPU NOISE!

ecorbally
05-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Hello All, Whilst I have the benefit of our finest to hand, I have a G4 PowerPC 450MHz, DVD/ZIP, was 128MB, AGP Graphics which is exhibiting symptoms I've not encountered before, ergo, it is making a hideous (intermittent)buzzing, grinding, vibrating noise from beneath the heat sink/processor. As I say, it is only occasional making it all the more mysterious but when it kicks in it is unbearable. As there are no moving parts in that area I'm a bit mystified. Anyone ever come across this before and is there a fix? Many thanks, Eamonn.

ecorbally
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
I did this yesterday - asked a question then answered it myself. It's the fan on the AGP graphics card, mad as a box of frogs it is. Decided to remove anything that could possibly vibrate even tho' it's screwed in and it was the first, if not only, thing to come out. Looks like I'm trawling through the web for an AGP card. At least this post might help somebody more stupid than me if that's possible. E

voldenuit
05-15-2006, 10:25 AM
It might be a lot cheaper to buy a fan of identical dimensions at the next ugly small PC shop around the corner or even let them install it if you don't feel you're up to it.