PDA

View Full Version : Does YOUR keyboard keep locking up?

aclarke
05-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi. Sometimes even several times a day, my keyboard will stop responding. Keys like option-tab still work so I can navigate using the keyboard, but I can't type or do any work. All I can really do is restart.

I've had this problem through multiple OS X upgrades and 2 powerbooks. I suspect it's a problem with one of my applications, but I can't really narrow down what causes it. Maybe also I inadvertantly do some key combination that turns something on. Just like when I'm using my powerbook keyboard I seem to do some sort of "sticky fn key" thing at least a couple times an hour.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions as to what is causing it? Here's a list of applications I usually have open, so it could be one of these:

JEdit
Firefox
Safari
Quicksilver
Yahoo Widget Engine

I think it MIGHT have something to do with Java, but that's just a sneaking suspicion. I used Fire for a while until I realized that was what was causing it. I usually don't use JEdit and then it will happen maybe a couple times a week; in the last few days I've been in JEdit constantly and it's happened twice in the last hour.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

CAlvarez
05-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Never seen this. Have you tried unplugging and reconnecting the keyboard? Have you tried using a different USB port?

aclarke
05-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Never seen this. Have you tried unplugging and reconnecting the keyboard? Have you tried using a different USB port?
Hey. It's a powerbook, so no ;)

I often use a bluetooth keyboard but I don't have it with me this weekend. I can't remember offhand if it happens with the external keyboard or not.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

voldenuit
05-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Make sure you didn't simply hit F6, that'll activate the virtual numeric keypad and block all other keys.

Are there any interesting log entries when the problem occurs ?

aclarke
05-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Make sure you didn't simply hit F6, that'll activate the virtual numeric keypad and block all other keys.

Are there any interesting log entries when the problem occurs ?
I have my fn keys reversed, so for me I'd have to hit fn-F6. And this activates the keypad like you say and lights up the "num lock" light.

My keyboard does go into numeric keypad mode like you said, but the num-lock key doesn't light up. That is, it will light if I hit fn-F6, but won't light when it does it "all by itself". When it happens accidentally, it stops happening if I hit the fn keypad on its own. It also only seems to happen (now that I think about it) in Eclipse and JEdit, both of which are written in Java, although that peculiarity may be entirely in my imagination.

ThreeDee
05-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but has anyone had their mouse lock up? Where you can move it, but not click on anything?

bfd3991
05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I am experiencing keyboard problems which are very similar to what you are describing. I boot my PowerBook G4 12", 10.4.6 and after logging into my usual account within seconds I lose the use of my keyboard. If I have terminal open I can still use the keyboard but not in the GUI of the operating system or with other software. I created a new account and still have the same problem.

It worked fine yesterday and today nothing but trouble.

Regards,

Darrell-

PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Mac OS 10.4.6

zerografix
05-10-2006, 07:53 AM
I have a user that is having the same problem, on a single 1.8Ghz G5 1gig ram, user says the keyboard locks up in firefox, and can't cmd + rab to switch out, but is she uses the mouse to click on a background app, the keyboard responds in that app

any clues

jsandiego
12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
yes, my keyboard just locked up today, I was just using Safari with 2 tabs open, it happened both times while I was in wikipedia.org. After about two minutes the keys worked again. The mouse worked the whole time. The computer is a macbook. I just got it less than a month ago.

macosnoob
12-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Try running Software Update. There was an update for Leopard 10.5.1 users of MBs and MBPs last week:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate11.html

"This update addresses a responsiveness issue on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems may occasionally experience a temporary suspension of keyboard input which can last a minute or longer. The Mac OS X 10.5.1 update is required before installing the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1."