PDA

View Full Version : Error on new video card for G4 QS

Aimbere
04-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I have a G4 733 QS and I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 for Mac AGP 4x. The card have a power cable....

When I plugged the video card the screen is all shuffled and it takes a little bit time to display something on monitor !

I have updated the drivres from ATI site and I'm using Tiger 10.4.x (with all the updates). But I think this is not the problem because before OSX boot the problem exists.

I Need help!

Thanks everybody

tlarkin
04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
well, do you have another video card you could try? Also, does that video card run ADC or DVI or both? Which monitor are you using?

Does the problem happen right away, or does it only happen once the OS loads?

Have you checked your system and error logs?

Aimbere
04-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi tlarkin,
I have the original video card that was functioning very well. The original video card run VGA and ADC (have a connection near AGP slot too).

The new video card run VGA, DVI and S-VIDEO. It don't have the internal connection for ADC near AGP slot. It have a power cable that is pluged on a HD cable.

I'm using VGA CRT monitors.

The problem happens on first screen when I turn on the machine (the one that have the Apple logo and a circular countdown).

I haven't checked the system and error logs. Where I can find that logs?

Thanks

trevor
04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Have you tried zapping the PRAM and resetting Open Firmware? (directions (http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=7269))

Trevor

Aimbere
04-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi Trevor,

I have not tried this steps.... I will do that and post the news...

This is the card that I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATi-RADEON-9800-PRO-MAC-AGP-128MB-G4-G5-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ8801513258QQcategoryZ25449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nimbus123
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
hi aimbere,
this is somewhat undocumented (at least i've found no reference in my mac books), yet i hear some people recommend hitting that small door bell shaped button (aka cuda switch) once (or up to 15 seconds) after installation of additional hardware. it should be located close to the (+) side of your quicksilver's battery (about 1 cm)
this should also have some "reset" effect on the motherboard (and so far has not hurt me or my macs when pressing it after an installation). at least it turns the power off immediately and is somewhat easier than getting the battery out in order to zap the PRAM.
maybe trevor would know what it does exactly.
good luck with you (flashed PC) video card.
nimbus

tlarkin
04-26-2006, 02:46 PM
hi aimbere,
this is somewhat undocumented (at least i've found no reference in my mac books), yet i hear some people recommend hitting that small door bell shaped button (aka cuda switch) once (or up to 15 seconds) after installation of additional hardware. it should be located close to the (+) side of your quicksilver's battery (about 1 cm)
this should also have some "reset" effect on the motherboard (and so far has not hurt me or my macs when pressing it after an installation). at least it turns the power off immediately and is somewhat easier than getting the battery out in order to zap the PRAM.
maybe trevor would know what it does exactly.
good luck with you (flashed PC) video card.
nimbus

Don't hold down the PMU switch for 15 seconds.

If the problem happens at boot up that means the OS has not loaded yet, which means the error is happening in firmware (or at the hardware level). Since firmware is the first to load in the boot strap process. I would assume it is probably related to bad video card.

Swap out that card with a known good one and see what happens.

Aimbere
04-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, I really thanks everybody for the replies...

I sent the screen shot to the seller and he told me that the video card is bad. So he will swap that for me.

Thanks again.