PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Bootable CD for mac, on windows?

Kipu2021
04-20-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm posting from an XP based computer right now, and I was wondering if there is any way to make a CD on windows that will boot OS X on my broken eMac. Any ideas?

Mikey-San
04-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Why can't you use your Mac OS X install CD?

Kipu2021
04-20-2006, 11:47 PM
The OS X install CD has become lost amongst my storage area. I recently moved...

trevor
04-21-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm posting from an XP based computer right now, and I was wondering if there is any way to make a CD on windows that will boot OS X on my broken eMac.

I doubt it, and if you could it would be with extreme difficulty. How is your eMac broken? If you give us the actual problem, instead of a proposed solution, we could probably help you better.

Trevor

tlarkin
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Yes, you can burn a bootable cd/dvd from a PC. Here is how you do it.

Download an ISO of whatever you want to boot off of, and then burn that ISO in Nero. It will be an exact copy of that disc.

For example, we have a site license for Tiger at work. I don't want to carry around an actual tiger dvd with me in the field. It is just too risky from scratching, losing, or having it stolen from me. So we keep the master discs in storage and created disk images of our software. Well, since we are only like a 7% mac enviroment we mostly work on PCs. So, I made an ISO of Tiger, and burn copies of it from my HP desktop here at work running winxp.

It works

trevor
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
tlarkin, you're absolutely correct. However, since Kipu2021 doesn't have an Install CD/DVD in the first place, I don't see any easy way that he or she can legally create a bootable OS X CD.

Trevor

tlarkin
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
tlarkin, you're absolutely correct. However, since Kipu2021 doesn't have an Install CD/DVD in the first place, I don't see any easy way that he or she can legally create a bootable OS X CD.

Trevor

well, if you own an emac you own a license to that software that came with it. Technically it would not be illegal to download a copy of the OS via bit torrent site, since they already own a license that came with the computer.

I am pretty sure that would be totally legal.:confused:

paragon
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, you can burn a bootable cd/dvd from a PC. Here is how you do it.

Download an ISO of whatever you want to boot off of, and then burn that ISO in Nero. It will be an exact copy of that disc.

For example, we have a site license for Tiger at work. I don't want to carry around an actual tiger dvd with me in the field. It is just too risky from scratching, losing, or having it stolen from me. So we keep the master discs in storage and created disk images of our software. Well, since we are only like a 7% mac enviroment we mostly work on PCs. So, I made an ISO of Tiger, and burn copies of it from my HP desktop here at work running winxp.

It works

does it work the other way around? can I burn an .iso image on my mac osx 10.3???

tlarkin
05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
does it work the other way around? can I burn an .iso image on my mac osx 10.3???

Third party apps like roxio toast can burn ISO files.

You could also use disk utility in tiger, to make an image from CD (.dmg) and then burn it over to a blank dvd.

Kipu2021
05-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Aha, thanks for your help. But silly me, I didn't have Nero at the time, and even worse I was on dial-up, so I ended up using a conglomerate of Windows--->Mac CD copier and such.
Thanks!

tatta
06-07-2006, 03:48 PM
hi fellas:)
...i'm a mac user and i was trying to burn the image of tiger in a cd in toast :rolleyes:
...well, the extension is a .sit and i'm recording it as a cd image and i already tryed to record it has a mac Volume
...after burning it, i put it in the cd deck and it opens the folder like it was a original cd but than when i click install and restart it doesn't boot with the CD

:mad: ...anyone knows why this is happening???:confused:
thanks
regards

hayne
06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
i was trying to burn the image of tiger in a cd in toast :rolleyes:
...well, the extension is a .sit and i'm recording it as a cd image and i already tryed to record it has a mac Volume
...after burning it, i put it in the cd deck and it opens the folder like it was a original cd but than when i click install and restart it doesn't boot with the CD

This sounds an awful lot like you are trying to work with a pirated version of Tiger that you downloaded from somewhere.
These forums do not support software piracy in any form.
Threads asking about this sort of thing will get closed.
Users who persist in asking about illegal activities will be banned from the forums.

Triangle
11-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi,

You can try ISO-burner. This is a burning tool that is free and very easy to use. It also never failed me so give it a glance if you wish
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

forkart
12-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Try using magiciso to create boot cd for mac and burn iso file to cd. It works fine to me.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burniso.htm

justin.columbia
09-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Greetings,

The original question in this forum was the same question that brought me to this specific site. The question is:

"I'm posting from an XP based computer right now, and I was wondering if there is any way to make a CD on windows that will boot OS X on my broken eMac. Any ideas?"

Any half-way intelligent person can deduce that the person asking the question has an eMac with a botched-up file system ("broken"), and he wants to burn a bootable OS CD using a MS Windows PC. The question is valid, and easy to understand. Instead of getting a clear, factually based answer, people choose to waist his time by asking questions that are worthy of a heavy handed slap to the face.

I am amazed at the sheer number of people who fail to reply with a factual answer to the question. The proper way to answer this question is to simply state the most efficient process for burning a disk image in Windows that can be read by an Apple eMac. People who can't precisely answer the question have absolutely no business replying to ANY post.

It absolutely enrages me when instead of clearly and consisely providing factual help, people reply with a completely rediculous and self gratifying questions such as "Why can't you use your Mac OS X install CD? "

This question is condescending and it is absolutely useless, totally irrelevent, and absolutely bothersome. The question originator OBVIOUSLY doesn't have the original disks, or he wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. The only reason you should EVER respond on a forum is if you have a CLEAR and CONCISE answer for the question, or at least a question relevent to establishing the hardware specifics if necessary to come to a conclusion. People use these forums to feed their vile egos by spewing useless replies and offering their OPINIONS on the subject. The only reason you should EVER reply in a forum is if you have an answer that will serve to aid the person who is dealing with the problem. Never, ever offer opinions... only answer if you know the answer on a factual basis. This type of rancid, disrespectful, illogical sewage destroys the usefulness of internet forums and causes search engines to become ineffective due to the sheer volume of worthless, self-serving replies. Either kindly answer the question accurately and effeciently, or get off the forum and stop waisting people's time.

mclbruce
09-07-2012, 07:54 PM
... stop waisting people's time.
That's wasting, not waisting.

DeltaMac
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
And, wasting our time complaining about a thread from nearly 6 years ago.
@ justin.columbia - perhaps if you can spend some time looking through some of the other threads on this site - you will likely discover that there's a lot of questions about activity that borders on the illegal, or at least unethical. This thread, as one of many goals, tries to avoid the appearance of assisting with illegal activities.
There are also questions that are BEST answered with another question.
And, to "never, ever offer opinions" is almost impossible on this forum. Many questions are asked, because of misinformation: "How can I protect my Mac from viruses?" Sounds like one that should have a simple answer. Yet, on this site, you'll get a lot of opinions, partly because the answer is not simple, and 40 people will have 40 different plans on how to proceed. Some will be just opinions. And, I posit that even you would be hard pressed to decide in every case, which is opinion, and which is based on fact. Sorry, one can't rule out opinions from these forums.
But, that's just my opinion :D
I do have another opinion: I think you need to spend less time on what you think is "obvious" and more time learning that folks may ask about burning an installer disk, not because they don't have one already, but because they don't know what they have, or what to do with it. And, we often remind them - with opinions! (well, and a description of what they need to be looking for: "It's the black disk, not the grey one!")

Anyway, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.
and, I can't help but notice that you also did not provide a Clear and Concise answer to the question posed by the OP. But you certainly shared your opinion; not about the OP's question, but about your personal views. And, of course that makes it a good opinion, too!

BTW, sometimes the "condescending" questions are necessary - only because people do dumb things, or simply miss the simple answer, when they expect a complex fix. You would be amazed how people respond when I ask "did you check the power cord", when their computer won't turn on