PDA

View Full Version : How do i find music files not in itunes music library?

djjeffree
04-15-2006, 05:13 AM
I recently had to replace a damaged hard drive in my laptop. Fortunately, all of my music was stored on an external drive so I didnt lose any music. However, when I reinstalled the itunes music library from my back up, there were songs that were added to the library after the date of my last back up. The files have been copied and saved into my external drive, but they are embedded within the files that have already been backed up. How do I find which files were added after my back up copy of my itunes music library so I can re add them???

Ive found a script from Dougs I tunes scripts called "List of Folder Files Not Added" which i thought would do the trick. It searches a specified folder and subfolders for files not in your i tunes library and creates a text file with the filepaths. After running this script i didnt find it to be accurate. I randomly checked a few of the items it listed and they were already in my library folder.

Can anyone offer another way to rebuild my library?

Bigc
04-15-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/tip.html

But I would backup your current Music Library in case a lot of duplicates develop...

ginoledesma
04-28-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm posting this here as I ran into the exact same problem, so hopefully Google and other search engines will pick this up...

What I did was to simply do:

1. Run iTunes
2. Choose "File" > "Add To Library..."
3. Choose the folder containing your iTunes Music Folder (e.g. ~/Music/iTunes)

iTunes will scan the directory and then add the songs not already in your library. It's worked for me at least -- I changed the location of my iTunes Library to an external hard drive that had another iTunes Music library folder which I didn't link to my copy of iTunes yet, so in effect, the songs were mixed up -- some of them were listed in my library whereas others were not.